Bought a 5s on iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by 50L, Jun 14, 2014.

1. 50L macrumors regular

50L

Hi guys

U bought a 5S from some one,

He removed find my iphone but I cannot restore by internet and reset to Factory settings because he bought an udid and is not a develloper

Can i at home restore to 7.1.1 with itunes?

2. Quantum2 macrumors newbie

Since iOS 8 is not out, you will be able to restore to the latest official iOS version (which is 7.1.1)

3. JakeT85 macrumors regular

JakeT85

Yeah, you just need to download the ios 7.1.1 ipsw file for your phone model. The phone model is on the back of your iphone in the small print at the bottom. You can then plug into iTunes and on windows hold shift when you click restore or on a Mac hold option when you click restore. It will pop up a file directory, when it does locate the ipsw file you downloaded and select it. It will restore and you will be back on 7.1.1. http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/06/08/how-to-downgrade-from-ios-8-beta-to-ios-7-1-1/

All of this is if the post above doesn't work, sometimes iTunes is flaky on restoring to proper version if you are running a beta, this method points it in the right direction.

4. ct2k7, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014

ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Put it in recovery mode (thanks C DM), plug into iTunes and it will take care of the restore to 7.1.1 for you.

You don't need to download the firmware, iTunes will.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Recovery mode will basically do that for you (I believe with DFU you actually have to have the firmware downloaded and point to it vs recovery just downloading it and installing it all for you on its own).

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Unnecessary. During beta periods a simple DFU restore works just fine since Apple is still approving iOS 7 activations. iTunes will grab the right file for you.

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

When I rolled back from iOS 8 to iOS 7 on a test device (then back up to 8), iTunes did it automatically.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Right, that's what I meant. But as far as I know that's basically recovery mode (whereas DFU is one where you have to provide the firmware file).

9. 50L thread starter macrumors regular

50L

10. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Ah whoops - my bad - I did mean recovery mode :)

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Nope, iTunes doesn't really distinguish between DFU and recovery modes. It downloads the firmware either way. The distinction is important for jailbreaking, and for restoring a device that's been jailbroken, but as far as iTunes is concerned, it just thinks a device in DFU is in recovery mode, and acts accordingly.