Bought a brand new Mac Mini today

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bacong, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

(Don't worry, I'm not new to mac)

I'm loving my brand new Mac! The first time I actually bought a new computer for myself.

Anyway, quick question. I know that there are scripts ran by OS X every once in awhile that keep the system running well...what I'm asking is how often I should shut this machine down.

AFAIK desktop computers are made to be on nearly 24/7, but with how small the mini is I'm not sure if that translates.

Any response is appreciated!

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Right before a lightning storm or expected power outage. :) My mini has been powered on for three years, and I've only selected Shut Down… three times.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You can sleep it overnight to have the scripts run when it reawakens or just leave it on 24/7. It uses something like 14w when idling so less than 3 nightlights.

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

"and it crashed 1092 times..." :p

5. georgegarrigues macrumors newbie

Thanks for this information, but where did you get the figure about the night lights? It's my understanding that computers really drain a lot of juice and I'd hate to have another dam put up on a nice river to pay for the electricity.

Sincerely, your friend, George

6. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

Yes the mini does draw very little on stand by. just a couple of Watts, so Less than most night lights which tend to be 3-5W.

Typical consumprion when running is 13-20W depending on the task.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=698463

I did a basic power usage test on my Mini when I got it last year out of curiosity..

Just to point out though, yes 2W is bobbins... but If you have a 100 appliances around your home consuming 2W 24/7 then it all adds up. And your not taking into account any losses through the cabling in your house etc etc...

I'll stop now before I start sounding like a really nuts environmentalist..

I'm just a Sparky really.

Wheaty

PS Personally I switch mine off when I'm not using it for long periods, ie over night /at work. Other wise its on in standby, you can set it for an automatic wake up time in sys prefs, if you need it on by....

7. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Maybe yours, but not mine. :p Not once.