Bought a custom 15" now I wish I'd got a 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ian.C, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Ian.C macrumors regular

Hi,

I bought a MacBook pro 15" custom build, I upgraded the following

CPU
    Ssd
    Hr glossy screen

It hasn't arrived yet but it's due on Tuesday, I have always had a 15" MacBook but after reading I'm starting to wish I had ordered a 17"...

And there no way apple will take mine back because of the custom build I have ordered,...

I'm a bit gutted.... Anybody else feel the same...

Thanks in advance

Ian

2. simsaladimbamba

So you can't return the MBP within the first 14 days just because it is CTO? Have you verified that via the Apple Online Store rules?

from http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#topic-21

3. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I'm pretty sure you still have 14 days or whatever to return it. Even if Built To Order (BTO).

I personally would never ever get a MBP 17". It's just too big, I would rather spend the $300 and get a very nice (and much bigger) external LCD monitor.

Others might want that 17" everywhere they go but at that point your laptop has become a desktop replacement. It is not quite as portable. Try using the 17" on a plane, or some desks at my college. For me, not even a possibility.

I don't mean to nay say those who have the 17", for them I am sure it fits their needs.

4. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Not sure what OP is talking about.. within 14 days, you take it back.. they give you money back.. simple as that.. UNLess you blew up the machine or something..

5. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

Yep. I would much rather get something like the dell 2407. I can understand 15", but using my 13" for the past 2.5 years - anything bigger feels weird. Smaller too, I guess - although to me, nothing beats the sexiness of the MBA.

7. Ian.C thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, just to confirm when I go to the order screen where you have the following options cancel, return, print invoice... When I select return a box appear and says this item is not eligible for return see terms and conditions....

I think I may attach it to an external monitor when I need a bigger screen... Don't know why I didn't think of that... What a div I'm.....

I'm going to have a think and maybe call apple tomorrow...

Thanks

Ian

8. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

You probably can't return the item before you've signed for it.

Also I wouldn't open the box if your planning on sending it back. Might not make any difference but some companies get a bit funny about opened boxes when theirs nothing wrong with the product.

9. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

You can't return an item you have not even received yet. Be patient and attempt a return when you actually get the product. As soon as Apple's system is updated by FedEx as received, then it will allow you to initiate a return (RMA).

10. Ian.C thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys...

I'm going to have a think, the MacBook is only due this Tuesday so I'm going to spend a bit of time searching the forums..

Thanks once again

Ian

11. Locodice macrumors regular

Mate listen.... you're having second thoughts and you haven't even seen what you've ordered yet.

The 17inch is great yes, its brilliant I'm sure, but it kinda defeats the point of having a laptop, being less portable (no doubt people will disagree here). Like the person a few posts above me said it's quite awkward and cumbersome having it anywhere other than a table.

I've ordered the 15inch and like you am awaiting delivery, it's hard and my patience is surprisingly baring out OK. The 15inch you ordered is certainly on par with the 17inch anyway (in terms of speed/graphics etc) and just do what I plan on doing in the house hook it up to an external monitor for the bigger screen effect (if that's what you're panicking about)

12. Canedrive macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The 17" is so much more impressive in the flesh than the 15", but you have to cater for your own needs.

I need the extra screen real-estate for complex audio projects, and don't want to be tied to an external monitor, so the 17" is perfect for me.

I hope you get it sorted.

13. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

BTO's cannot be returned.

BUT

Apple can and has made exceptions. If you receive your 15" and want to exchange it for the 17" phone them and very politely explain why you need/want to make the exchange to the 17".

I'd suggest don't even open the box before you phone them ... tell them after you ordered you checked out both screens and the reasons why you 'must' get the 17". I expect they'll do it.

Good luck.

14. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

As you say the 17" defeats the purpose of a laptop compared to the 15", I could say the same about the 15" in comparison to the 13" ...

17" is not for those who desire the maximum portability.

17" is for those who want the maximum screen real estate without hooking up to an external monitor. If you're not frequently at the same location of the external monitor it serves no purpose.

15. Terry Norton macrumors member

Terry Norton

I haven't received my 17" yet, but I flipped back-n-forth over and over before I finally decided on the 17".

This will be my first laptop, ever. I've used only iMac's previously. Currently using a 2007 24". What bugged me to no end was going anywhere, such as long weekends or vacations, and not having a computer to access. I went to the Unity (Unite 2010) Conference this last November with an iPad. It was OK, but just not what I really needed.

I'm therefore not the typical laptop user that's always on the go, but, I decided to remedy my situation. I'm giving my iMac to my daughter so she can learn OSX/iOS programming and the Unity game engine.

I'm getting a MBP to replace my iMac desktop, which gives me portability when needed.

So why a 17"? By the time I priced the 15" with the features I wanted, it was only $200 more for the 17". I also bought a refurb 27" Cinema Display, meaning the majority of time my new MBP will be in ClamShell mode. BUT, when I do take it with me, it won't be a major shock going from 27" to 17", and for only $200 more in cost.

16. Locodice macrumors regular

True.

I guess portability is in the eye of the beholder.

17. danny_w macrumors 601

Sorry, but BTO/CTO products cannot be returned or exchanged unless Apple makes an exception. They are NOT subject to the normal 14-day return policy, even if there is a hardware problem.

18. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

It's my understanding as well that BTO's cannot be returned. That said I also agree that Apple makes lots of exceptions when it wants to. I find that going to the store and finding a friendly manager can help most cases. Do people think that would work for a BTO or because "it's in the system" a manager won't be able to do anything?

19. diannao macrumors regular

I went through two years of regretting getting a 15" and wanting a 17". Save yourself that experience. If Apple won't take it back, sell it NIB and get a 17".

Also, let me save you from regretting something else: get an anti-glare screen on your 17".

20. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I've seen Hi-res MBP's in the refurb store. 100% sure you can return BTO MBP's.

21. MR.Raul macrumors regular

MR.Raul

Quote:
    Custom-Configured Product

Apple offers certain products that may be custom-configured to your specifications. Please review your order carefully. Once your custom-configured item has been prepared for shipment, it may not be changed or canceled. Learn more about Apple's Return and Refund Policy.

Yes one can, the quote from Apple is just saying once it's shipped one can't cancel nor change it, but once one receive it, one can return the item.
    Have done it myself several times.

22. slice4life macrumors member

23. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

I would go for the 17".
    It's a better use of space. The 15" is unecessarily wide, whereas the 17" is the smallest and lightest one of its kind.
    It's also 1 lb heavier, which is nothing. But you get way more space and better speakers, etc. If you can return it at all, go for the 17".

24. tslewis macrumors member

Yeah poster above was talking rubbish.

I had CTO late 2008 15 in unibody that i returned for a new one. Had no issues. Admittedly its a lot nicer to drive to a store and replace it staright away but thats the downside of buying a cto.

Also, just bought a new 2011 cto macbook 15 in. (Hi-res, glossy, 500 GB 7200 rpm)

I dont see the point of a 17 in as I have it hooked up to an apple cinema display at home and when away from desk I want portability.

had an old dell 17 in laptop and it was a pain. Im sure the 17 in MBP is easier to handle but if you want portability id definitely stick with the 15 in. I would have gone for the 13 in if had the power of the 15 in.

One advantage of the 17 in is that it has more room for cooling the cpu and graphics card hence it will have slightly higher geek ben marks than the 15 in.

Im very happy with my 15 in setup with an apple cinema display.

25. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

I've had the last two incarnations of the 15" (pre-unibody and unibody with HR AG) and just ordered my first 17" BTO. Quite excited, 1920x1200 in a beautiful flat unibody FTW. All the best, hope Apple takes it back, their BTO options are pretty limited so its not like no one else would pick your specs. Call up and have a chat with an Apple rep I mean your box isn't even open yet.

Have you been to a store and touched/played with the real machine?