Bought a Dell Zino, Help Me Cancel the Order

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Jun 24, 2010.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I stumbled across an ok deal on a Dell Zino with Blu Ray, and pulled the trigger.

Right now I am using Plex and a Mac Mini that is about 2 years old for my media center. I figured while I wait for Apple to include Blu Ray into their Mac Mini Lineup (which I think will be the ultimate Media Center), I may as well sell the Mac Mini and use this Blu Ray Dell Zino for the meantime.

FYI, the Zino was only $300 which isn't too bad with Blu Ray IMO. Also, this is the first PC I will have used in at least 3 years.

Give me reasons to cancel that order right now.

2. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

I dont get it, for $300 why not just get a PS3? then you get a game center and blu ray player.

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know how to turn a PS3 into a media center. And I really only like MW2 on my xbox.

4. satelshawn macrumors newbie

I hate to point this out but the likelihood of Apple including a BluRay player in the Mac Mini is somewhere between slim and none. Apple are pushing soft media, ie downloads from iTunes etc rather than physical media. Like it or not that seems to be the direction they are going.

BluRay is a non issue for me as I use my PS3 for that. However, what is stopping you from keeping the MacMini (or buying the nay improved one) and adding a FireWire BluRay player? I assume that this is possible and is exactly what I would do. I am planning on replacing my AppleTV with the new MacMini and may even considered the option of an external player.

5. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hear what you are saying. I am hoping that you are wrong about the bluray, but I don't doubt that you are right.

The reason is that I would rather have an all in one rather than spending money on a bluray. I figure my mac mini will more than pay for the dell zino. Then I wait and hope that bluray comes to mini. It really would be perfect for the best media center created.

6. satelshawn macrumors newbie

Yep, I know what you mean, all in one is nice, but I would most likely customise my Mac Mini into an "all in one" looking unit. After all, it would be hard to get a Hard Drive in the Mini that would hold my digital library, currently spread across two external hard disk Firewire 2 raids totalling 2.5 TB. I would probably build some kind of mod case for the external drives, BluRay and MacMini to make it look cool. Would be an interesting task. If you did it out of brushed aluminium you could really make it blend nicely.

7. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Jobs has said at the townhall meeting that Macs are never getting Blu Ray, he treats it like flash, a declining technology (I agree with him on this). As far as the PS3 goes my original intention for you was to get that instead of the pc an continue to use the mac mini has a media center, though come to think of it if you like the PS3s UI it will handle a lot of audio/ video formats and is compatible with external drives.

8. mdgolom macrumors 6502

First off, you can't cancel your order. Dell customer service is the worst I've ever experienced. I ordered a Zino back in November for a great price and they kept sliding the delivery date. I would call and spend an hour on hold or being transferred and dropped before someone would say it will ship in a couple of days. I finally had it and took another hour of waiting and getting transferred to finally cancel the order.

As for the keeping the Zino or not, I would say if it meets your needs, get it and be happy. I use 2 Mac minis for DVRs and home media and they work fine.