Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celedral

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
It all started when when I purchased a 27" 2.8ghz imac from Macconnections thinking I got a great deal for $1699. 2 days after I had purchased it, my brother told me He can get the same model for $1530 out the door including tax at Microcenter with this employee discount. I thought with the extra money I'm saving I could Buy 8gb of ram for it.

I listed the computer on craigslist since returning it would of cost me 20% in restocking fee. Right after the package was delivered I sold it for $1650, so I lost $50 in the transaction, but would still be ahead with my brother's deal.

Then the bad luck started, He called me to inform me that he is no longer able to get the discount since the deal had expired. Then i was told me he can get it for me at $1700.23 after tax, so basically I just lost $50. I was really disappointed and just decided to take the hit and get it even after all this trouble. I thought well it couldn't get any worse and asked him to get me the latest model with the highest 4th and 5th number in the serial.

After opening the package, it looked sealed but had little gapping holes on the plastic seal. It was only after installing iStat menu I noticed there are only TWO cores being displayed so I checked the "about this mac" and turns out its a 3.06 Core 2 Duo machine. The sticker outside the imac box and brown box were both labeled i7 2.8/4850/512 and the Serial did not match as well.

I checked both the serial numbers online and they weren't registered yet, so I assume it was the factory's mistake...

Needed to vent this, anyone else have had this situation?

Update: My brother got the exchange along with the discount , so I'm fairly happy now

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Contact MicroCenter. Hard to say where the fault is, either at Apple or MC but since it was bought from MC, they must exchange it

Celedral

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Yeah, talked to my brother and he will return it today. He said he will also try to see if he is able to get the discount by talking directly with his boss. So lets hope for the best

dqpassat

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
Which Microcenter did this imac come from? I just bought an i7 from the Tustin/Santa Ana location but have yet to open it. It is meant as a gift for my brother.

Celedral

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Which Microcenter did this imac come from? I just bought an i7 from the Tustin/Santa Ana location but have yet to open it. It is meant as a gift for my brother.

Yeah, Thats the one my brother works at. Well I doubt you will be as unlucky as I was. Make sure the Sticker label on the White imac box is taped on properly and don't seem like it was re-taped

dqpassat

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah, Thats the one my brother works at. Well I doubt you will be as unlucky as I was. Make sure the Sticker label on the White imac box is taped on properly and don't seem like it was re-taped

Mine is in a brown box, but I believe inside is the white retail box with all the imac graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.