Bought a Ipad with 4g, didnt sign up for data but it works?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Appleandorange, May 3, 2012.

1. Appleandorange macrumors newbie

Hi I bought an open box 4g IPad and I never signed up for data or anything. I tried going on it to activate a data plan but it gives me a note that says I can't access account because it's already activated and can't be accessed on the ipad.

However, I see the 4G cell data active and the internet works even with my Wi-Fi off. So I dont really know what to do. I've never owed an ipad that had an internet plan.

The gist of it is that I'm currently getting free data, but would rather not worry about any repercussions and would like to do the right thing. Additionally I don't know if should visit Verizon or Apple about it.

Any thoughts and help is appreciated. Thank you.

2. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

sounds like someone didn't cancel their account.

enjoy your free internet until they figure it out.

3. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

^^^^

And send the OP a whacking bill....Somewhere in the fine print there is bound to be a clause that covers this type of thing...I'd tell them, by doing so you might even get a free allowance for a while.

4. Appleandorange thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is, I never signed anything saying I wanted data at the time none of my info was given at least. I just paid for the ipad. I don't even have cell service through that provider.

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Seems like you are in the clear but a bit strange it came with a SIM-card installed :)

6. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

So you deliberately continue to use the data with full knowledge that someone else may be paying for it causing their loss and you don't have any data plan purchased.

Sounds like some kind of.....well, if I were you I would've closed this thread and called the carrier to cancel it.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Open box, pre-owned you say? Previous owner probably payed for a month, decided against it returned and cancelled before prepaid month was over.

Data access will probably stop of its own accord by the end of the period.

8. ZipZap macrumors 603

The OP has not entered any information and therefore has no obligation to pay. I dont see how ATT could send him a bill.

----------

So you're not the kind of guy who looks for a parking meter with some time still on it?

If the data continues after the expiration date, then I'd say the OP should cancel it.

9. AppleNewb24 macrumors newbie

First of all, I do not think you have done anything wrong. You innocently spent a few hundred bucks for an iPad.

Only thing I would worry about it the carrier trying to stick you with charges when it is all said and done. Maybe a call to the carrier would not be so bad.

Honesty is the best policy.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That probably means that the previous owner activated it on a postpaid plan, and you need a new SIM card to activate your own account. Problem is that people have been reporting troble getting a new SIM from Verizon -- apparently they insist on signing you up for a postpaid plan, which can't be managed from your iPad, instead of just giving you a SIM card so you can activate a prepaid plan from your iPad at your convenience. I'd consider returning that unit if possible and getting a new one with unactivated SIM.

11. irod87 macrumors regular

Sounds like previous owner activated it on a post paid plan.

12. Appleandorange thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I'll talk to verizon and if they try to force a post-paid plan, I'll return it. It seems ridiculous that they wouldn't just give me a new SIM.

On another note I got a great deal on the iPad 100$ off for being open box (16gb) no issues so far.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Get over yourself. The OP stated he discovered an active data plan and is trying to do the right thing by asking what he should do about it. You should only moralize when someone has actually done something wrong.

14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I returned a Verizon iPad. I had to specifically fight with them to get the data turned off *now*. Default is that it expires at the end of the billing cycle.

A pre-paid plan will allow you to administer it from the device. A post paid plan tied to a regular Verizon account won't.