Bought A Jailbroken/Unlocked 3GS (Advice)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by King Apple, Jul 18, 2011.

1. King Apple, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

Hey Guys,

I just had a few questions about this jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3GS that I bought on Ebay. First things first, this iPhone 3gs is running ios version: 3.0.1, and has a modem firmware of 04.26.08

I understand that the phone has been jailbroken because cydia and installous have been installed on my home screen. I also tested the unlocked feature with my friend's tmobile sim. I know 04.26.08 is a rare baseband, and I think the owner before me must of unlocked this phone via ultrasn0w.

I have a few concerns. Firstly, the battery of this phone is draining awfully fast. What might be the issue?

Secondly, I want to upgrade the ios version to 4.3.3, but I do not want to upgrade the baseband with this. What is the best way going about this. I have a Mac computer.

Thirdly, All the apps are scrunched together on the home screen. I really do not know anything about a jailbroken iPhone, but I would like to customize the homescreen to some extent.

What exactly should I do with this iPhone, does Cydia need to be upgraded? Does Installous need to be upgraded? I don't know what to do with this phone. I know it needs some massive upgrades, but I just don't want to lose this precious baseband (unless it can be upgraded to 5.13.04, is this even possible?)

What do you guys suggest, I'm totally lost and I don't understand how to use this jailbroken/unlocked iPhone to the fullest extent. (also, Cydia has a like a million outstanding updates under the "changes" tab)

Can I restore my iPhone without screwing things up?

Thank You very much!

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

First, download and run Tinyumbrella. See what SHSH files can be saved.

You want forever keep the 4.26 baseband. It's the most stable and least hassle baseband to unlock with Ultrasnow. TO UPDATE THE PHONE AND KEEP THE BASEBAND, always restore only with a custom firmware file(one that does not upgade the baseband) created through Pwnagetool(Mac) or Snowbreeze(Windows). Thus, if you want to update to 4.3.3, use a custom 4.3.3 firmware file.

The battery drain issue problem probably has to do with something installed on the phone. Uninstall stuff from Cydia to find out which one.

To customize your theme, look at the customize homescreen thread for ideas.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Probably just a crappy battery. A restore may help.

You'll want to use Pwnagetool. Look at the link provided.
    http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...ouch-using-pwnagetool-bundle-how-to-tutorial/

Check out themes, and folderenhancer.

Also, you can spread apps around to other homescreens and whatnot.
    One good thing to note is that Installous cannot be mentioned in this forum because it is related to pirating and that is against forum policy. Therefore I cannot offer you advice about Installous. Go to Cydia's 'Changes' tab and see what it has for you. No, you cannot upgrade to 5.13.04, either you preserve your current baseband or you update to the latest.
    Unless you absolutely do not need the unlock, do not update/restore to stock Apple firmware.

4. King Apple thread starter macrumors regular

King Apple

Thank you very much for the responses guys.
    You've been a great help

:)