Bought a Mac Mini (2012). Need advice for SSD install

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by aspiringsoul, Jan 21, 2015.

1. aspiringsoul macrumors newbie

So, I just recently bought my first Mac Mini for $419 refurbished from Apple's website. I already have 16GB of DDR3 Gskill RAM that I'm going to swap from my Laptop.

A few questions for you.

1. Installing an SSD will surely void the warranty, correct? I've taken laptops and radiography machines apart before, so this can't be too bad...

2. Which SSD should I install? I think most prefer the Samsung 840, but they have released the Samsung 850. I don't need more than 256GB...but I will be running Linux virtual machines from the SSD.

3. I'm going to verify that my Mac's drive is located in the lower bay and order the kit from OWC here

4. Should I go ahead and install OSX Yosemite? What method should I choose for cloning the disk? I've used Clonezilla and Acronis True Image in the past to clone disks.

Any other tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

1. Depends on where you live. In my country it wont void warranty. The 2012 mini is not very hard to take apart when you are experienced already.

2. I think you'd be happy with almost any modern SSD, if you only need it for VMs. The 840 is a very nice SSD, and the 850 is a bit better long term investment, but also markedly more expensive. Up to you really.

4. I would do that. CarbonCopyCloner works fine for me, although I would always recommend a fresh install, but hey, that's just me.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

installing the SSD will not void the warranty but any damage caused during the install will.
    Go slowly and very carefully.
    :)
    And if it's a new machine do you really have that much to clone?
    When I did mine I made a USB installer first and then just installed clean on the new drive.
    If you want to enable trim on your new SSD you're going to need 3rd-party software that is not compatible with Yosemite so that's one thing to consider.

4. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

You might want to consider a 512GB Samsung if the performance is better than the 256. I bought a 500GB Evo over the 250 Evo because of that. Tests have shown durability isn't a much a concern but larger ssd's do wear longer than smaller drives. I haven't looked at the 850 series because I bought mine before they were on the market. I like Samsung drives a lot and if they release their Magic ware for Macs that would be huge. It has ram caching capabilities which Windows-Samsung users currently enjoy over Mac counterparts.
    :rolleyes:

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Check dealmac.com for today (Jan. 21).

Other World Computing has some very attractive prices right now on Crucial m500 SSD's, in all sizes...

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Gjwilly, TRIMEnabler is certainly compatible with Yosemite. What it needs to do in order to enable TRIM (disable KEXT signing) may be undesirable for some but the app certainly works on Yosemite.

7. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Make sure you have the right tools. Buy a set of stuff from ifixit - it's worth it !
    Like the other poster said - go slow and watch the videos - I generally watch ifixit.

With the Mini there are only a few fiddly steps :

1. Getting the antenna cable off (and back ! - more difficult)
    2. Getting the fan cable off (remember which way up it is)
    3. Getting the IR connector cable off (use a spudger point)
    4. Press on BOTH sides of the Mini to release the mobo (otherwise it will stick)
    Never tug on the cables - use a spudger (IMO), but don't lever up the connector.

If you've done any kind of PC assembly then it's easy - otherwise just be careful.