Bought a Mac mini (returning to store tomorrow)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by slooksterPSV, Apr 29, 2018.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

Just bought a new 2014 Mac mini. It’s still getting setup but I’m very excited for it. What do you guys recommend putting on it?

2. chabig macrumors 603

I recommend putting an external SSD on it with High Sierra.

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

It’s odd because it came with high Sierra on it. 10.3.3

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I think chabig was really recommending the drive, and not the system itself.
    Does your mini have a spinning hard drive - or an SSD as the built-in system boot drive?
    A hard drive will be sluggish, at best. An SSD will be as good as you might hope for, and hopefully that's what you got with the mini.

5. chabig macrumors 603

Yes. Adding an SSD is the single best thing you can do to that computer. I have the same machine, running off of a Samsung T5 external USB SSD. It's night and day different from the spinning hard drive inside the machine. In fact, I use the internal hard drive as a backup disk--a purpose for which it is well suited. Once a week, SuperDuper automatically clones the SSD boot drive to the internal hard disk.

6. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

Oh haha forgot to complete my thought. Yeah an SSD would be great. I have one I can rip from my pc. I was just thinking how odd it was it had high Sierra on it. I thought it would have had El Capitan or Sierra. Not high sierra

7. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I put a SSD "in it". Voids the warranty but took all of 10 minutes. Without the SSD it is almost unusable.

8. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

If you purchased it new or refurbished, then Apple always puts the current OS on it. It would have had to be sitting on a shelf for a long time to come with an older OS.

9. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

Its the first new Mac I’ve had since 2004 haha.

10. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

I've owned a lot of new Macs over the years. And, even when they used to ship with DVD's, they'd come with the latest software installed if you purchased it from Apple. Even if it was an older model, or a refurbished much older model.

For the ones that had sat in retail boxes at various independent dealers, they offered an update CD at a price that ranged from free to $19.95 depending on factors of the machine versus how long it had been since the update had been available.

11. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

???????
    I have one and the oem hd works just fine....NOT sluggish...if he puts a SSD in it and has problems with modifying it...will you fix it for him?????

12. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

The HDD is fine for now. I yearn for an SSD but the spinning disk is fine. Overall it took 5 hours last night to get it setup. :)
    Visual Studio
    Xcode
    Netbeans
    Angular IDE
    Python 3
    Microsoft office 365

13. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

The speed of the drive and system overall is the largest concern when upgrading from a HDD to a SSD, but honestly the deciding factor for me to switch to a SSD in my Mac mini was noise. I found the stock HDD to be snappy enough (don't get me wrong, a SSD is clearly faster) to not have that be the factor causing an itch for change.

I had a particularly clicky stock HDD (turned out to be an operational noise) and that coupled with the generic whirring just did me in. I have never had too much of a proper desk setup, and I usually have the computer on top of the desk literally 2 feet from me. Now with a SSD, it literally makes NO noise. I was gaming on it lately to test out Metal, and even with such intensive tasks and the fan keeping the CPU cool, it doesn't make noise.

I've never owned a computer that makes no noise, I mean you would think that is was fanless. It's honestly incredible and takes a lot of the paranoia aspects out of the equation as far as sitting here and just using my computer, not feeling the need to look up information trying to diagnose some sound coming from it.

14. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

Odd mine doesn’t make any sound. I have to look to see if the light is on on it. It’s still catching up to all the photos I loaded, downloading emails, just various things. Its still amazing :). I’m so happy I got it.

15. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

I’m putting Norton on. Some of my emails have viruses because of the junk mail. Still loving my experience. :)

16. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

17. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

Well that is odd. If I render video the fans on my 2012 Mini are very loud, even though it has a SSD. It's silent with normal use, but not if you stress the CPU.

18. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

Yeah looks like it’s just the JavaScript files.

19. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

Thank you for the link. I haven’t had a virus on my PCs for years right? I mainly keep it just in case because I do do a lot with word documents, excel, etc. from sources that are trustworthy but can’t fully confirm. You never know when a teachers system is infected and hands those files to the students.

20. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I don't find mine to be noticeable at all. It doesn't make any noise at all, seemingly. System temps were normal, and the fan was definitely running, plus I could feel heat pouring from the back vent if I placed my hand there.

It's just a singular fan in there. It must have some form of omission but I personally can't hear it, perhaps with the gameplay and such contributing.

21. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

Try ripping some video in Handbrake, or rendering in Final Cut Pro. ;)

22. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502a

23. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

I did. I think I’m going to augment with my 128GB SSD though. I’ve let it build indexes download email etc for almost a week but it’s not as fast as my 2009 MacBook. Cpu and ram usage are low, a lot lower than I thought they would be so I think the disk in it just isn’t fast enough to keep up with me. I did try resetting the smc safe mode etc. Can I clone my HDD to my ssd?

24. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

Whenever I look at activity monitor I see that the cpu is almost idle, ram hovers between 2-3GB and dusk is like spiking randomly up and down. In two hours it read 6+GB and written 1.3GB but beach balls ahoy when opening an app or waiting 5-12 bounces. To be honest I was expecting this to be faster than the MacBook running El Capitan.