Bought a macbook from craigslist

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by har2daleen, Jun 1, 2014.

1. har2daleen macrumors newbie

I bought a macbook from craigslist and everything is fine.

I even chatted with apple support to see when the warranty started and they said just a little over a month ago

i just don't get why he would sell it so cheaply to me and i am SO afraid now that i might get a locked message

Can someone help me make sure this doesn't happen?

Nothing is registered from my understanding. When i go to apple the serial number is not linked to anything.

please help

2. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Why dont you register it? I think he's selling cheap before tomorrows announcements thats all.

3. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

How much you bought it for and what year mbp?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Calm down to start!

Click :apple: --> About This Mac --> More Info --> Service --> Check My Service and Support Coverage Status. That will show you the warranty information about your Mac.

As for iCloud. If the Mac was properly wiped and the iCloud account was removed from before hand you have nothing to worry about!

5. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

Ha, never knew this!

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

He could've returned so might have been stolen though I doubt it.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If it's been properly wiped and has OS X reinstalled, you should be fine. Macs don't have activation lock like iDevices do unless it was connected to woof and the seller went into iCloud and locked it from his account. Since it's not registered, I doubt that. You should be able to boot it up and start setting it up no problem unless there's an issue the seller didn't mention. I'd be concerned about a hardware failure if it was sold cheap.

8. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Isn't it possible the previous owner put a password in the firmware prevent future reinstalls or internet recovery? That's something I always check before buying from CL.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... there is an EFI (firmware) password that can be installed and it will block a command-r boot to recovery or a boot to any disk other then the default.

If you try to boot to another source with the EFI PW on you get this screen.

[​IMG]

10. kyriostrife macrumors member

How do you get around this?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Before 2011 models, you could just pop out a RAM chip and it would reset, but 2011 and newer models that no longer works. The only way to get it removed on those models is take your Mac to Apple with proof of ownership and they have a utility that can remove the EFI PW.

First thing I do on a new Mac is enable the EFI PW so if someone steals it they pretty much just got themselves a brick.

12. kyriostrife macrumors member

Thank you. What's the easiest way of checking this when buying used?

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Hold OPT at boot. If it is locked it will ask for a password!