Bought a Macbook Pro 15" From eBay With Applecare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shakenbake158, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Shakenbake158 macrumors member

Hey guys, I recently purchased a Macbook Pro 15" with Applecare from eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_4656wt_1163

I received the item and everything looks good, the only problem is that the seller doesn't have the original proof of purchase to transfer the Applecare.

Do you have to transfer the Applecare?

So if the seller doesn't have it, does that mean that if I brought it in to Apple I wouldn't be able to have repair work done on it?

The Applecare was an important part to why I purchased this, if I can't get the Applecare transferred, do you think I should ask the seller for a refund?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare follows the computer, not the owner.
    You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here

3. Shakenbake158 thread starter macrumors member

I put my serial into the link and it says that its covered, but is Applecare attatched to the owner also? So I should be able to bring it into the Apple Store and everything should be ok?

4. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Yes, it goes with the machine, not the owner.

Also, transferring Apple Care is dead simple - you call up Apple (800-APL-CARE), and provide them the previous owner's name and address. Then you can put it in your name. I've done it countless times and never had to provide an original receipt for either the machine or the Apple Care.

You got a great deal on that machine with Apple Care, you'd be crazy to ask for a refund, especially when transferring it is really easy (and not even really necessary to get service).

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, as I said, AppleCare follows the computer, not the owner. It doesn't matter who brings a Mac in for service. If that Mac is covered by warranty or AppleCare, it's covered.

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Just call Apple - They will transfer the computer into your name and apple id - I have done this several times. Did he include the applecare box that has the code?

7. Shakenbake158 thread starter macrumors member

No he did not.

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I would ask him to send the box - I have seen post here and others where apple gave a partial refund on unused AppleCare - so its possible (not saying your seller would do this) to return the AppleCare and you wont know it until you need to use.

What is his feedback like?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the seller had gotten a refund on AppleCare, the reduced coverage would show up in the link I posted earlier. There is no need for the box or to even call AppleCare to give them the new owner's info. AppleCare follows the computer and can be verified online, which is exactly what the Genius bar does when you take it in for service.

10. Shakenbake158 thread starter macrumors member

He has got 99.9% and his score is 2364

11. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Seller could return AppleCare after the sale - I think this is possible - Doing some google searching on partial refund of AppleCare to see what Apple has done in the past. Trying to cover all bases. Its best to call Apple and transfer name - address - phone # of your Mac.

----------

Im sure he is legit. Enjoy your mac :)

12. Shakenbake158 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I already have been :)