Bought a MacBook Pro Last Week... Should I return and wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wnxgenral, Jul 8, 2008.

  1. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    #1
    Hey,

    This is my first MAC and let me say that I'm so impressed! I've been a windows guy my entire life but I'm totally ready to switch to mac now... Here is my question. I bought a 2.5 MBP last week and I'm very happy with its performance! My question to you is should I return the MBP and wait for the revision? I need this for school which starts August 16th. I know there are like a thousand threads on this but I just saw a mock up of the the new design and since I did return a MBA for this MBP... I love the design/keyboard! What do you guys think? Is anyone doing this?

    Jack :apple:
     
  2. johngardiner macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 13, 2008
    #2
    Odds are the new revision will not be out before your August 16 timeframe, and if it is, chances are you're not going to see a massive performance increase with the switch to Montevina. If I were you, I don't think I'd risk it, and this way you'll be able to be well versed on OSX before you start school. You'll be mad at yourself when in 4 weeks there's no new revision and you've gone so long without your macbook pro!
     
  3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

    UltraNEO*

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    近畿日本
    #3
    Dunno why you didn't wait till you started school (assuming University or College) then you could get yourself a educational discount (if you not already)

    Also, don't quote me here.

    But, rumours has it, the new redesigned MBP might not have a user removable battery! That means, if your battery dies, your gonna be screwed! Especially if your on the road! Hope this concept doesn't appear on PRO end laptops
     
  4. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

    kaiwai

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2007
    Location:
    Christchurch
    #4
    Not to mention the 1.0 bugs that'll show up along with shortage of supply.
     
  5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

    nikhsub1

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
    #5
    I'd buy now... Montevina will be nice, but I'm not upgrading again until Nahalem CPU's (quad core) come out for mobile.
     
  6. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #6
    There's really no reason to wait unless you've already been holding out for 'the next one' for x months.
     
  7. zsft macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2008
    #7
    I just thought of something. People say the quads will be in laptops beginning 2009. But I was just looking at Toshiba's Qosmio F50 due to be available "mid July"...says quad core, but specs aren't shown yet. Interestingly they say it'll have a Geforce 9700M...wonder if the newer MBP will get that.
     
  8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

    UltraNEO*

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    近畿日本
    #8
  9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #9
    They won't sell any without one. It's a pro notebook.
     
  10. tYsopz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2007
    Location:
    Norway
    #10
    No way apple is going to put a 8700M in their next mbp. The 8700M is nothing but an OCed 8600M. It'll either sport a nvidia 9650/700 or a new 3000-series radeon gpu which exact name i cannot remember.

    Oh and the laptops will prolly be updated within the end of this month or very early in august.
     
  11. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

    Sean Dempsey

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #11
    What about a case redesign and Macbook style keyboards? That would sell it for me even if the performance increase was marginal.
     
  12. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

    MacBookProJoe

    Joined:
    May 7, 2008
    Location:
    Seattle, Warshington
    #12
    Shouldnt you have asked this question before you made the purchase?
     
  13. BMP1199 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2008
    #13
    Yeah aren't you the same person who bought a Macbook Air then debated after you got it whether or not you wanted the Pro... then returned it to get the Pro and now you are debating whether to return it to wait?! Dude it's call think before you act.
     
  14. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #14
    I think he has enough money (or not enough common sense) to just buy both...and the air as well...and return them all and get an hp!
     
  15. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

    Alan Taylor

    Joined:
    May 14, 2006
    Location:
    Mississauga
    #15
    Yea.... this was a bit silly. Does the local Applestore not think you are a total nutjob???
     
  16. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

    nikhsub1

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
    #16
    Umm IDK WTF processor Toshiba is talking about but it is NOT an Intel...

    "The new Qosmio G50 series and Qosmio F40 series feature the TOSHIBA Quad Core HD Processor SpursEngine™, derived from the high performance multi-core technology of the Cell Broadband Engine™*2"

    Quad core mobile chips I would guess would be available mid to late next year.
     

Share This Page