Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ufcgymaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2022
Hello guys this is my first post I just joined. I recently purchased a used MacBook Pro 2018 Intel based 15 inch model didn’t know too much about it I knew that I had a password lock screen on the front to get into it that was it. Got it for a really good price I was like you know what I’ll just buy that bypass that lock and have a new laptop to use. So come to find out It had the t2 chip so it has three layers of security all turned on and boot from usb turned off. I dfu restored it, everything went as it should with Apple configuration 2 . Until I put it into recovery internet which it’s supposed to bring you to the utilities menu but instead I got brought the the activation lock screen I was told that this would wipe that out even and you would be left with completely wiped hard drive with nothing on it but it still has the activation lock on there. My options Are erase mac, startup disk, type in Apple ID or password which previous owner knows which idk who that is. So I don’t think I can bypass the activation lock with software because yheee will no os to boot to and I can’t usb boot so it will
Be completely bricked. Is there anyone who knows a way to bypass the activation lock and reinstall Mac OS . But as a last resort I was going to and install kali Linux to it and run that on it. Guys I’m afraid I might have bricked this amazing computer. It’s maxed out spec wise and literally looks brand new… can anyone help? Thanks

Ufcgymaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2022
I feel like that was kind of scrambled so let me just break it down for you . had a MacBook Intel base 2018 with all three security features enabled and boot from USB drive disabled. Restored it was in DFU mode from Apple configurator to everything went well except for I get sent to the activation lock screen instead of the utility screen when I boot to internet recovery. you’re not supposed to get sent to the activation lock screen you’re supposed to get sent to the utilities no matter if they had activation lock or not so I’m confused did I do something wrong during the restore processes?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Not sure if anyone is going to help you since you are intentionally trying to bypass the activation lock. The entire purpose is to make sure those who steal or buy stolen goods can’t use it.

Reactions: Romain_H

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
☝🏽Plus if there was a hack (there isn‘t as far as I am aware), we‘d not be allowed to discuss it as by forum rules

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Maybe you can get your money back.
You might sell it for parts (no way forward - much like an activation-locked iPhone)

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Moderator Note:

Unless one knows the Apple ID and password, only Apple can help.

And discussion about bypassing Apple security measures is frowned upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.