Bought a MBP 2016 15 " but getting cold feet, what should I do ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MilKat10, Jan 28, 2017.

1. MilKat10 macrumors newbie

Hello fellow forumers,

So I received my brand new MBP 2016 15" few days ago (2.6 / 455 / 512Gb), battery seems to hold just quite fine (testing got 8-10 hours with Chrome and some other programs). However I am getting cold feet due to 2 reasons:
    - I am not using the dGPU (afraid the dGPU will crash on me at some point)
    - I have always used the 13" and first jumping on board the 15" feels bigger than expected (when tried in store)

My most common use case: browsing with Chrome /Email / Evernote / Stock Charting Software / Heavy spreadsheets for basic quantitative trading

The reason I went with 15" : the bigger screen for charting software as I am getting seriously involved into stock trading.

So, what would you do ? keep it ? return it for a 13" ?

Thanks a bunch for your replies

P.S: this machine will mostly be used at home (got a 2015 13" for work), price tag is not a problem

2. leman macrumors G3

About the first reason: relax and meditate, maybe have a cup of tea. If there are any issues with your machine, you are covered by warranty. Second reason: if its too big/heavy, return it.

3. MilKat10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for a lot for quick reply. I am trying to relax and think it's just a laptop after all.

About the first reason: more afraid the dGPU will fail me 3-4 years down the road (does Apple care cover this issue?)

About the second reason: My home laptop is a cMBP 2010 (2.13kg) hence more concerned about the footprint than the weight.

I am very inclined to keep it bit realise the footprint of the 13" is so convenient.

4. sinoka56 macrumors regular

return it and buy a 13 inch + a monitor + mouse + keyboard

5. leman macrumors G3

Well, computers fail. I would not rely on any computer lasting more than 3 years. In fact, I would not rely on a computer lasting at all. Anyway, if it turns out that there is a manufacturing defect with those GPUs, I am sure that Apple will issue a repair program, as they usually do in these cases.

6. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

Yes, don't worry about defects as Apple has always taken care of that stuff. Either through the included 1 year warranty or through Repair Programs. I remember getting a new iPhone for a power button issue more than a year after the warranty expired. I also got a new SSD for a dead 2012 MacBook Air back in 2014/2015. Apple support is top notch.

As per the computer itself, I personally think that the 15" is too big- but then I also have a dedicated desktop at home.

The Dual Core in the 13" models can easily handle your workload, unless you really go hardcore on Excel. Can you share a screenshot of your Excel work?

7. MilKat10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Sinoka56,

This was by far my preferred scenario as we have a desk at home. However, I have 3 y.o twins grabbing everything they can get a hold of at home as well. This would have been a risky set up. The touch bar will probably be attracting some small hands as well unfortunately :-(

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion. I might keep the 15" until things settle and switch for the suggested set up in a couple of years.

Cheers

8. MilKat10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Fedecap,

Thanks a lot for your reply. When it comes to my workload, I tried it on the 2015 13" and concluded that it could easily be handled (even with 8gb RAM - just a tad slower). I was more interested by the enhanced real-estate but I need to adapt to the footprint of the 15" I suppose.

Thing is I worked out Google sheets that pull stock data into 100+ tabs and rework them into backtests and strategies. I am also using a stock charting program with real-time data that can (at times) be harsh on CPU.

As for the repair program tackling eventual dGPU issues, that is reassuring to hear, I will have to rely on that.

I conclude that that I might use the 15" a couple of years until my 3 y.o twins calm down and then switch to 13" with monitor (if I have not gotten used to the footprint of the 15" at that point).

Thanks again Fedecap, appreciate the reply (and everyone else's reply)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a 2012 rMBP that has a dGPU and the computer is going strong, so on the dGPU front, don't worry about it. I'd say Apple straightened out their dGPU issues.

10. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

My vote is for keeping the 15. If it is going to live at home, its power opens up possibilities that are less practical with the 13-inch, especially if you decide to use the MBP as your primary desktop replacement.

If you are worried about the dGPU, it might be worth purchasing AppleCare or one of the third party repair programs if you havent already? If nothing else, it might provide some peace of mind?