Bought a mouse but what keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by swadd1er, Dec 15, 2014.

1. swadd1er macrumors member

As a few of you will know i've bought an external monitor for my MBP. I plan on running it in clamshell mode for the majority of the time due to limited desk space. The only option would be to have my MBP open infront of the monitor which is ideal so i've decided to get an external mouse and keyboard.

I bought a Logitech Anywhere MX mouse today but I am undecided on a keyboard. Could anyone recommend me a keyboard and give me some reasons for the choice?. I was just going to get an Apple wireless one but I thought i'd ask on here first.

Cheers

2. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Go with the Apple Wireless Keyboard. It is a unique keyboard in design and functions. As you plan to use it with MBP it is the best choice.
    I had almost the same situation years ago and I bought the Apple Wireless Keyboard. No regrets at all. I am a happy user.
    And I almost forgot to mention that I use the keyboard also with my iPhones, Android phones and Tablets.

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I also use the Apple Wireless Keyboard. One advantage is that it feels a lot like the Macbook keyboard so your fingers do not need to relearn when you switch. I occasionally miss having a keypad, but not often enough to make me buy an add-on.

A.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I use the Apple full sized wired keyboard because I like having a numeric pad. The Apple wireless works fine but lacks the numeric pad. My wife has a Moshi Luna backlit keyboard on her iMac. She really likes the backlight and it was the only one I could find at the time. It's a bit large so might not be ideal if desk space is limited.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I use the Apple Wireless Keyboard at home, an old Apple keyboard that came with an iMac G3 at school, and a Dell PS2 keyboard from the early 90s. I prefer the Dell and the Apple Wireless Keyboard over the older Apple keyboard. If you prefer mechanical switches, then an IBM model M or something may be your best bet. Otherwise, the Apple Wireless Keyboard is great!

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I personally cannot stand the external Apple keyboards due to the lack of key travel. They look very pretty, but are unusable to me. How much typing do you do and is key travel an important factor for you? I use the Matias Quiet Pro at home and the Matias Tactile Pro in my other work location (because they wife was complaining about the clickety clack noise at home, even though I love it)

Both of these are the Mac versions with the symbols printed above the characters so that it's easy to know what symbols will be typed when you use option or shift option.

e.g. ©Ó

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

One part of my work is writing. So, I do the latter a lot. And using Apple' Wireless Keyboard.
    Key travel is not important for me. More important how the keys respond to my style of writing.

8. joudbren macrumors regular

Check out the Logitech K811 for Apple. About the same footprint as the Apple wireless keyboard but the K811 is aluminum with black keys so it actually matches with current Apple stuff. It's also backlit with proximity sensor (keys light when your hands get close), rechargeable, has slightly longer key throw than the Apple wireless keyboard, sculpted keys, better key spacing and can be paired with up to 3 devices.

This is the keyboard Apple should be making. I've had mine for over a year now and it's been exceptional. Battery lasts for a long time as well before it has to be recharged. Months in my case. Cheers!

P.S. Tons of reviews online if you google "K811 reviews". Pretty much universally positive.

9. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

It is really a wonderful keyboard. Some reviews say that is what Apple should have made for their devices.

Despite the above mentioned I have a huge problem, i.e. that this keyboard exists only with US/EN layout, to my knowledge. And I need my special characters on the keys.