bought a 'my passport' hard drive & macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesstrollon, Nov 17, 2013.

1. jamesstrollon macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought a new macbook pro and got the one with a lesser memory and instead bought a new wd 'my passport' hard drive (2 terabyte) to accompany it. The main reason for this is that I have A LOT of music and wanted for tracks and documents as well to automatically save onto the hard drive and not fill up all the space on the actual macbook. I have plugged it in and it seems to be only working if i have it on both the hard drive and the macbook, is there not a way to have music go into the hard drive and not take up space on the macbook?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
    James

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Sure, but you need to make sure your iTunes library resides on your external drive. I have my iTunes on a My Passport as well--connected to my Time Capsule. You need to go into iTunes preferences, Advanced, iTunes Location, and select the location of your music collection as being on your external drive--not on your MacBook. Now when you add music to iTunes, it will go onto your external drive.

3. blkhwks55 macrumors newbie

When you plug in an iPhone/iPad does it work the same way with it on an external drive? I'm trying to do it with iPhoto and am having a heck of a time because it won't load and I keep getting the spinning ball. Sorry to hijack this thread.

Thanks,

Tony

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040