Bought a new case for my iPhone 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ardchoille50, Oct 12, 2016.

1. ardchoille50, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016

ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Three weeks ago I was preparing for a run and took my iPhone 6s out of my pouch to set up my running app when.. the phone slipped out of my hand, hit the concrete sidewalk, bounced a couple times and slide on its face for about a foot. I stood there thinking "well, this is a good excuse to get the iPhone 7". I picked the phone up expecting the worst, but there wasn't a single scratch on the face. The top of the aluminum housing has a small scratch, though. This was the first time I had ever dropped a phone. I don't know what the face of the iPhone 6s is made of but I'm amazed that the screen can take that much punishment without shattering or scratching. I'm guessing gorilla glass?

Today I was at the gym and my phone slipped out of my hands and fell onto the padded gym floor - good thing it was padded. No apparent damage, but I stopped by Best Buy on the way home and bought a new Otterbox Commuter case for it.

I've never had cases on any of my iPhones (been on iPhones since 2012), so this case feels awkward. But, it's better than shelling out $600+ for a new phone. I'll just have to get used to having my devices in a case from now on.

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I had 2 cases with my 6+ where I immediately started thinking of the replacement phone I was going to buy because I was sure the display was broken. Low and behold both times my phone held up. The iPhone is truly built extremely well.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I shattered the screen on my 6+ once. Apple replaced it for the cost of the screen repair. $135 or so.

I still don't use cases.

4. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

I completely forgot that Apple can replace these screens for cheaper than it costs to buy a new phone. Oh well, I'll keep my case.. clearly I'm getting butter fingers in my old age.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Forgot to post.. my 6+ was naked it's whole life. :)

6. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, all of my iPhones have been naked until today. I'm not taking any more chances.