Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
I already have a domain name but I purchased a new one as well. I want that new one to also direct viewers to the same site as the older domain name does. How could I do that??

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

johnniewalker

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2006
Blackpool, England
I'm sure I've read that pointing more than one URL at a site can damage it's ranking abilities? unless you use a 301 permanent redirect as google recommends.

I know that google doesn't like redirects, so I'd be concerned about doing what has been suggested, what would be better is buying hosting with your new URL and setting up an informative site of at least a few pages filled with plenty of applicable content and provide links to your original site from there, if your new site can gain plenty of links and google pagerank it should help the original site.

I actually tried directing another URL at an existing site and the original site never got any pagerank for months until a few days after I stopped the redirect! could have been coincidence?

johnniewalker

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2006
Blackpool, England
But I thought he wanted to use both domain names at the same time? with only one 'main' site, are you just talking about a 'masked' redirect?, if so then the same redirect search engine problems exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.