Bought a new iMac, have question on Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by claimed4all, Jun 7, 2011.

1. claimed4all macrumors 6502

I currently do all of my e-mail through gmail in a browser. Would it be beneficial to me to be using Mac Mail Application instead?

Would all of my email still appear online?
    If I read a message while I am at work (in a browser) does it show up read on the Mac when I get home?

I am looking for continuity between all the places I check my mail. I know the browser way does that. Is Mac Mail going to kink my chain at all?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you set it up as an IMAP account and store copies of your messages on the server you'll see all your mail regardless of how you log in.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

To be honest, I prefer the browser version of Gmail. Especially because of the ability to easily send from multiple addresses. If I try to do this in Apple Mail, it's harder to get the messages to be stored in the same place on Gmail. That said, I love iCal, and have it as my main calendar application (Gmail calendar in iCal).

4. claimed4all thread starter macrumors 6502

If you do, what do you use for a gmail notifier? I have yet to find one I like. The Google brand one I like, it just doesn't check my mail enough. When ever I look at it the last mail check was 14-20 minutes ago.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I actually don't use a software notifier. My desk has two monitors, and I have email and calendar open on the second monitor all the time when I'm working. My notifier is my iPhone. When it vibrates, I know I have a message :)