Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
Just bought a new iMac today and I'm hearing a noise on the lower right hand side of the monitor. I was wondering if that's something "Normal"
or should I exchange it. It could be the disk spinning but I don't recall my friends' iMac having this noise nor my MacBook Pro.

Could you all please help me out in figuring if it's me tripping ot what?

CIMG2019.jpg

Thanks!

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
The only noise you might hear is a fan, but it shouldn't be all the time.

What does the noise sound like?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
without hearing the noise, i'm inclined to think that it's the hard drive or the fan, something "normal."

off topic, is the dock on your imac at eye-level? :confused:

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
without hearing the noise, i'm inclined to think that it's the hard drive or the fan, something "normal."

off topic, is the dock on your imac at eye-level? :confused:

LOL yeah why? Pretty tall here....

Archmagination

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Hmm.. could be the power supply is bad?(Just a guess though)

I remember hearing people complain about a clicking sound a few years back that was traced to a bad power unit and the general area you are talking about seems to be part of the power supply area.

Oh just though of something... Is there a CD/DVD inside the drive when you hear the sound?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
It's almost like a clicking noise

i think it's the hard drive, and i really don't think there's anything to be worried about. i, too, am a little sensitive to the noises my hard drives make. it's something i deal with. the important question is whether the computer runs ok. if so, you should be fine. congrats on the purchase. :)

Archmagination

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
i think it's the hard drive, and i really don't think there's anything to be worried about. i, too, am a little sensitive to the noises my hard drives make. it's something i deal with. the important question is whether the computer runs ok. if so, you should be fine. congrats on the purchase. :)

Why would he be hearing the sound in the lower right hand side when the hard drive is it the middle near the top of the screen?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Why would he be hearing the sound in the lower right hand side when the hard drive is it the middle near the top of the screen?

sometimes you think a sound comes from point x when it's actually coming from point y. it happens. also, his face is in front of the lower portion of the imac if you haven't noticed from the pics. again, it was just a guess.

dsyroi

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
I've got one too

Was just going to post about a weird noise from my iMac and saw this thread so I thought I'd try to get in on this. I just heard a really loud noise from my Intel iMac that I've never heard since I've owned it. Sounds like something (fan, hard drive?) spinning really fast and loud. Started up very suddenly and lasted about a minute and then petered out. Thing is, it was quite loud, and I've never heard the noise before. If it's the fan I'm not sure why it would kick in like that for the first time now, it's a cool evening here (I'm wearing a sweater). Didn't notice any problems with the computer while the noise was happening. Sorry to "piggyback" on this thread, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

sas76

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2006
Australia
Just bought a new iMac today and I'm hearing a noise on the lower right hand side of the monitor. I was wondering if that's something "Normal"
or should I exchange it. It could be the disk spinning but I don't recall my friends' iMac having this noise nor my MacBook Pro.

Could you all please help me out in figuring if it's me tripping ot what?

CIMG2019.jpg

Thanks!

I also just go a new imac 20 inch. The thing is dead quite, to the point I think I need background music. :eek:
I have been transfering all my files and I cannot hear any Hd or fan noise.

I ripped a DVD using handbrake and the only noise you here occasionaly is the super drive.

Is it constant ?

Cheers

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
I also just go a new imac 20 inch. The thing is dead quite, to the point I think I need background music. :eek:
I have been transfering all my files and I cannot hear any Hd or fan noise.

I ripped a DVD using handbrake and the only noise you here occasionaly is the super drive.

Is it constant ?

Cheers

It's still there but it's minimal a lot lower than when I first turned it on for the first time. It was quite a weird noise my brother even asked if that was normal. It's now gone down to a quiet clicking noise. I'm going to the apple store tomorrow and check them out or else it's going to bug me.

marcg007

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Boston area
ergonomic

I'd be more worried about the height of that monitor desk. It's not very ergonomic.

Unless the person sitting at the desk is quite tall. LXTXNX, how tall are you? :)
Seriously though, whoever suggested you take your iMac with you might be onto something. Unless your local apple store is really close to you where you live so that making 2 trips is not a bit deal. I realize it's a pain in the @$$, and I don't want to alarm you, but from what I have heard and read so far, these things are generally really quiet except when working really hard. Let us know what you find.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I have an annoying "brrrrrrrrr" sound too in the lower left corner. I asked at the store and they told me to bring it back and exchange for a new one. Everyone seems to say that their iMacs are "completely silent", while I don't believe this to be true I think that this isn't what the iMac should sound like, so yeah I'm taking it back ^^

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
The iMacs are completely silent, apart from the hard drive if you put your ear up against them.

Even when being pushed, they get hot but I can't hear any fans.

sas76

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2006
Australia
I have an annoying "brrrrrrrrr" sound too in the lower left corner. I asked at the store and they told me to bring it back and exchange for a new one. Everyone seems to say that their iMacs are "completely silent", while I don't believe this to be true I think that this isn't what the iMac should sound like, so yeah I'm taking it back ^^

I do not want to start an argument, so please don't take offence but my new imac 20" is dead quite (or I could be deaf). I think the HD has been working pretty hard. I have not ran many apps yet apart from iphoto etc.

Cheers

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
I'm definitely taking it back and exchanging it. Do I need to make an appointment for the Genius Bar for something like this? Or should I just walk in there tomorrow since I don't have time for dealing with this today.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
you can walk in w/o an appointment, but you should be prepared to wait. or, you can make an appointment online here. good luck with your exchange.

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
you can walk in w/o an appointment, but you should be prepared to wait. or, you can make an appointment online here. good luck with your exchange.

Yep I tried making an appointment at like 12:noon today and they have nothing available until Sunday afternoon. I'll walk in tomorrow and bring me a chair and my iPhone. LOL

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
Ok so after an hour of waiting and repeadtly telling the apple girl behind the counter that i did NOT have time to see a genius at the bar and that I was not going to be on stand by. I finally got it exchanged for a brand new one with no annoying skreetch comming from the bottom of the display. It's actually really silent as it should've been. My experiance today at the Apple store was a mixture of both bad and good... but in the end I have a NEW properly working iMac. :D

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Ok so after an hour of waiting and repeadtly telling the apple girl behind the counter that i did NOT have time to see a genius at the bar and that I was not going to be on stand by. I finally got it exchanged for a brand new one with no annoying skreetch comming from the bottom of the display. It's actually really silent as it should've been. My experiance today at the Apple store was a mixture of both bad and good... but in the end I have a NEW properly working iMac. :D

That's good to hear :) I'm taking my iMac back next week (hopefully tomorrow), it's sounding like a broken PC at the moment. Extremely loud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.