Bought a new laptop. Transfer iTunes without losing formatting iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Enjoylife1788, May 15, 2014.

1. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2011
    Hey guys,

I have always wondered why its so difficult to transfer itunes when you buy a new computer.

Never had to go through through knife personally as i have always formatted before to be safe.

However, its different this time as I have my iPhone 5 and iPad air jailbroken and formatting them is not an option as i wont be able to jailbreak them once again.

So i have gone though numerous articles and am not able to derive a definite conclusion.

I think copying to an external hard drive is the best option. But, i just want to know that when i connect my iphone and ipad to the new computer after i have transferred everything, will i be asked to format the iphone.

Please clarify on the confusion.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    Depends on how you transfer. If you only copy the music itself then you will. If you actually transfer the library you won't.
  3. PNutts macrumors 601

Jul 24, 2008
    Pacific Northwest, US
    It sounds like you already know the options, but just in case here is Apple's KB article on moving your iTunes library to a new computer. If you follow the instructions you will not be prompted to format your phone. The phone is associated with the library, not the PC/Mac.
  4. Enjoylife1788 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2011
    So if i follow apple's guidelines to the T regarding the external hard drive, i wont be asked to format and i will keep using the itunes as if i never changed the laptop. is that right?

5. bbfc macrumors 68030

Oct 22, 2011
    Newcastle, England.
    Yes. I did it when I moved from PC to Mac and it worked perfectly. Also when I clean installed Mavericks. If you follow the instructions, you can't go wrong.