Bought a new MacBook pro but didn't get the latest version

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BeeAnt, Aug 21, 2011.

1. BeeAnt macrumors newbie

My Mom just bought a MacBook Pro about last two months ago. When I check today, it was the mid 2010 version. I think it supposed to be the 2011 version.

When I check the serial number on https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

The MBP is not registered, and when I want to register, it gives me error message.

I am thinking about how problematic it could be when I want to register AppleCare for this MBP, and also when I want to claim for international warranty.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Make sure you keep the sales receipt safe, that's the most important part.

As for the "error message", what did it say?

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

And for how much did your mom pay for that MBP? Did your mom buy the MBP on Apple Store? Or premium reseller?

Because at the latter, they're actually an official third party seller for Apple, not always having the newest product as an Apple Store would. Could be your mom already informed about the older gen MBP and got it for quite a discount compared to 2011 MBP?

If that wasn't the case .. definitely go back to the store, since it's a fraud. Look at the receipt first, you can find MBP product code there, check if it was a 2011 MBP code.

4. BeeAnt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all repliers

Ya, it was discounted for about 100-200 dollars, but she wasn't told anything if it is the old version.

I'm not sure if it is still eligible for an exchange since it was bought about 2-3 months ago.

Do you think it's possible?

5. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

no i doubt it is possible

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

No. Yea that's the thing, when you aren't buying direct, you have to make sure you're getting the 'newest' one, and you have to do that within a short period of time.

I got my 2011 MBP 2 weeks ago. It came with Snow Leopard. Now yea, I get the free Lion, but I couldn't just wait until now to take it back and say I wanted a lion only machine. I'd have to do that within the 14 grace period.

But I don't want Lion, so I'm damn happy I got the one made before then.