Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
This week Best Buy is discounting $250 off of the Note 8 plus a $100 gift card (later they pulled the $100 gift card redemption site, but i did get it) when activating a new line with at&t or Verizon. That's total of $350 saving on a $935 phone. I couldn't pass it up so I went for it, signed up with Verizon on their cheapest data plan, but I'm still using my T Mobile SIM. I will still pre-rder the X and since now I have a Verizon account, I can order the Qualcomm model X. I will cancel the Verizon plan after couple month or when Apple ships out the phone. If the wait is well into next year, then I'll just cancel the iPhone order & Verizon line and just use my Note 8 until gen 2 X comes out.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Great idea, use the iPhone as your travel phone since the Note is banned from planes.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
That's total of $350 saving on a $935 phone.
Nice!! But you paid sales tax on $935 so add on another $60.

I will still pre-rder the X and since now I have a Verizon account, I can order the Qualcomm model X.
Where are you pre-ordering from - Verizon or Apple?

then I'll just cancel the iPhone order & Verizon line and just use my Note 8 until gen 2 X comes out.
I would flash the unlocked firmware to the Note8 if you are using it on TMobile.
[doublepost=1508823289][/doublepost]
Great idea, use the iPhone as your travel phone since the Note is banned from planes.
Lol! No it's not.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
All phones from Best Buy are factory unlocked so to speak. As long as you activate with a Verizon SIM card first which I did, then the phone will follow the Verizon’s unlock policy which is a moot point because there is none, Verizon’s phones are unlocked for all carriers. I’ll preorder the X through Apple. the only thing I regretted doing is I should have ported my T-Mobile number over to Verizon so I don’t have to pay two data bills until the X gets shipped. But i think it’ll pay off in the long run since I peggie backed with my dad on T-Mobile’s 55 over unlimited plan for $60

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
All phones from Best Buy are factory unlocked so to speak. As long as you activate with a Verizon SIM card first which I did, then the phone will follow the Verizon’s unlock policy which is a moot point because there is none, Verizon’s phones are unlocked for all carriers. I’ll preorder the X through Apple.
They're not factory unlocked. They are subject to the US Reseller Flex Policy and will follow the locking policy of whichever US carrier's SIM card is in the phone for the initial activation. They won't activate at all with a non-US SIM card for the initial activation. I explain it all here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...bject-to-the-us-reseller-flex-policy.2079815/

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I did notice one thing though, since this is not an factory unlocked model I have to insert in Verizon SIM card to check OS updates. But otherwise my T-Mobile SIM card works fine.
[doublepost=1508824424][/doublepost]
They're not factory unlocked. They are subject to the US Reseller Flex Policy and will follow the locking policy of whichever US carrier's SIM card is in the phone for the initial activation. They won't activate at all with a non-US SIM card for the initial activation. I explain it all here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...bject-to-the-us-reseller-flex-policy.2079815/

True, but fortunately Verizon’s policy is unlocked for all carrier, don’t know why but that’s what it is. There’s a thread on this subject last year when people buying carrier specific iPhone 7s from Best Buy and then activate them with any Verizon SIM card and then it would work with any other carriers.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I did notice one thing though, since this is not an factory unlocked model I have to insert in Verizon SIM card to check OS updates. But otherwise my T-Mobile SIM card works fine.
You have 2 options - flash the unlocked firmware or flash the TMobile firmware. Either way if you do that it will get updates fine without having to put a Verizon SIM card in it.
[doublepost=1508824541][/doublepost]
True, but fortunately Verizon’s policy is unlocked for all carrier, don’t know why but that’s what it is.
47 CFR 27.16

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/27.16

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
You have 2 options - flash the unlocked firmware or flash the TMobile firmware. Either way if you do that it will get updates fine without having to put a Verizon SIM card in it.

I probably sell it after I receive the X. I put down the maximum down payment allows by Verizon. Only financed $11 lol. So it’ll be easily paid off when I sell it.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
There’s a thread on this subject last year when people buying carrier specific iPhone 7s from Best Buy and then activate them with any Verizon SIM card and then it would work with any other carriers.
Yeah, I know. I am the one who brought it to every one's attention in the first place. Target also sells the iPhones subject to the US Reseller Flex Policy as does Walmart.

[doublepost=1508824656][/doublepost]
I probably sell it after I receive the X. I put down the maximum down payment allows by Verizon. Only financed $11 lol. So it’ll be easily paid off when I sell it.
Regardless, you can flash the unlocked or Tmobile firmware to it and then flash the Verizon firmware back before you sell it.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah, I know. I am the one who brought it to every one's attention in the first place. Target also sells the iPhones subject to the US Reseller Flex Policy as does Walmart.

[doublepost=1508824656][/doublepost]
Regardless, you can flash the unlocked or Tmobile firmware to it and then flash the Verizon firmware back before you sell it.

Flash firmware sounds complicated. Where can I do that?

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Flash firmware sounds complicated. Where can I do that?
On XDA Developers they have links to the signed stock firmware. It is not complicated to me but you need to back up your device. If you aren't planning on keeping the device then it may not be worth it to you if you don't already know how to use ODIN. I already know how to ODIN so it isn't complicated to me. I hate the Verizon bloat that comes on the Samsung devices so I always flash them to the unlocked firmware as soon as it is released.

Kahsheh

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Hope it works out. Are you paying full price? My worry here is that Verizon may flag your order/eligibility being the account is new. This means you need to call to have it cleared.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hope it works out. Are you paying full price? My worry here is that Verizon may flag your order/eligibility being the account is new. This means you need to call to have it cleared.

I will either do IUP or pay in full. I'll use my old iphone with Verizon Sim to place the order.
[doublepost=1508827406][/doublepost]
Way too much messing around and hassle. I would just rather wait for the phone I want.

I know right, the Note 8 is my back up plan in case the shipping delay is way worse than we predict.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.