Bought a refub 15" cMBP, return it and wait for haswell?? Please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Network33, Jul 9, 2013.

  1. Network33 macrumors member


    Jul 9, 2013
    I have 6-7 more days (by July 15th) to return a base model i7 15" cMBP, my question is do I return it for a refund and wait until the MBP Haswell refresh. Mainly for the price drop on refurbs or to also take advantage of the back to school promotion.

    I had already waited 6 weeks after selling my 2012 mac mini in advance of WWDC. I have 16GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 that I used with the mac mini and now currently install in the 15" cMBP. I'm considering selling the ram and go with a Retina 15" model. I like the upgradable cMBP, But I never use DVD's, would love the extra thunderbolt ports and HDMI out on the rMBP's.

    I want the dedicated GPU for gaming, if the Haswell refresh drops the Nvidia GPU for Iris Pro I'm not interested in that.

    Currently the 15" cMBP model sells for $1449 refurbished, $1599 for rMBP's. when the Haswell refresh are released how much would the 2012 models drop in the Apple Refurb store??

    Thanks for looking and any help.
  2. newdeal macrumors 68020

    Oct 21, 2009
    You are assuming the cmbp will be updated with haswell. Not a safe bet. For $150 i would return it and get the retina. I would expect the refurb retina to drop maybe $80 when haswell comes out
  3. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

    Jul 7, 2012
    I agree with newdeal. Unless you plan on upgrading your notebook in the future, go with the retina.
  4. fskywalker macrumors 65816


    Nov 6, 2009
    I also suggest you to get the rMBP. Even with the forthcoming Haswell version, the rMBP should have a better resale value than the cMBP
  5. Network33 thread starter macrumors member


    Jul 9, 2013
    Thanks for the post, I understand the 2012 Ivy Bridge cMBP maybe be the last of the cMBP's.

    I'm trying to balance the ability to upgrade vs retina/Flash storage/2 x Thunderbolt / HDMI out.
  6. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

    Apr 30, 2012
    Stick with the classic dude. A Retina cant be upgraded you cant add your own RAM or Hard drive. IT doesn't even have an optical drive or Ethernet! On the classic if you still want you can add another hard drive by taking out the optical drive. Sure you can spend 150.00 for the Retina but with that on a classic you can get another hard and more RAM! If you know where to find the parts cheaper.
  7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040


    Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    rMBP for sure.

    I would return for a rMBP and then sell and take a small loss when the rMBP is refreshed, but thats me.
  8. Network33 thread starter macrumors member


    Jul 9, 2013
    I have 16GB of Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 MHz Ram [] installed currently, which I could sell for a profit when I purchased was only $80. I don't use DVD's at all, and currently only using Wifi, with no need for ethernet for the foreseeable future. Yeah I could add a second hard drive or SSD. 10-15$ for drive bay adapter and $125 to $200+ for 128GB or 256GB SSD. But I can't add more thunderbolt ports or HDMI. I can't upgrade the display on the cMBP.

    I understand freaking out about no user upgrades on the retina, as I've always built my own PC's. I just want a solid machine that's really fast running OSX.
  9. Network33, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

    Network33 thread starter macrumors member


    Jul 9, 2013
    Saving some money $$

    What i'm really going for in this thread is would it be worth returning this cMBP 15" and just wait for the refresh. To just re-buy the same machine or maybe the Retina if the price is right :)

Share This Page