Bought a Refurb 2010 i7...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sammyman, Nov 8, 2010.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

It is coming in the mail and I want to know what issues to look for since it is a refurb and all. I want to make sure when I open it that all of the the possible kinks are worked out. Monitor, noises, whatever goes wrong with them.

I got the 2010 27" i7 + SSD. What are the most common bugs that cause people to refurbish their 2010 iMacs?

2. sliceofman macrumors newbie

well in general an referb of any apple product comes to you like u'd never know the difference of whether it was used or not. now yes there might have been some sort of issue that they repaired, but otherwise it is a new computer by any means. most referbs are products people return cuz they got the wrong thing or didnt like it and apple stores send it back to and its considered a referb.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you don't notice anything unusual within the first few days, it should be fine. You will always find something if that is what you're looking for

4. mrt209 macrumors 6502

A refurbished i7 + ssd? I've never seen that in the refurb store.

But here's what you should look for:

- Yellow tint issue (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=824940)
    - Hard Drive noise (grumbling, clicking)
    - High pitched noise when changing the backlight (usually between 20%-80%)
    - Backlight Bleeding (you'll always have a bit, just make sure its not excessive to the point where it interferes with your work or anything else... good way to check backlight bleed is to start up a video as right in the beginning most videos are black, just put it on full screen, make sure the room is dark, and you'll see it if you have any)
    - Dead/stuck pixel
    - Frequent overheating (iMac i7 gets really hot, but just make sure its not constantly overheating)
    - Scratches on screen (if you have any bad scratches make the background white and you should see a multi colored reflection in the scratch.)
    - Cosmetics

These are some of the things that I would check for. Obviously some of these might not bother you, it's different for each person.

Having just returned my 3rd iMac in 2 weeks for some of the issues above, I suggest you make sure that you are completely happy with your new mac. You spent a lot of money on it, so if there's something that bothers you it's best to get it fixed now then being frustrated later on.

Enjoy your :apple:

5. steve77uk macrumors regular

I got one too

Hello

I think I am best placed to put your mind at ease.

I have done exactly the same. I ordered an iMac 27" i7 with SSD only on Sunday afternoon just gone after cancelling buying one at full price for a lot of money the week prior. I have saved over £400.

The online order page said it had an SSD and 4GB RAM however, imagine my surprise when the SSD is super fast, near instant on an loading and then finding that I have in fact 8GB of RAM! result! Thanks Apple!

One thing I need to do now is see how I can put in an additional hard drive. Apple apparently won't do it even at the Genius bar even though the lady on the phone at the Apple Store said they would.

My iMac is pristine. There is not a mark on it, no scratches, not even any dust. The keyboard box has Certified Refurbished Product labeled on it (all posh) and the whole thing comes in a white box like the one you get in the shop, but no imagery on it, just plain white box which was very clean.

Believe me, I am very picky. I cannot find ANYTHING wrong with it and I have looked as I had my doubts, but this machine must be a CTO cancellation which has not reached it's destination or something as it is pristine. Immaculate. Amazing. I cannot believe I have on my desk right now a 'brand new' iMac 27" i7 with SSD and 8GB of RAM.

This baby has been running all day. No screen defects, no noise, DVD drive silent nearly when using it. Hooked to external monitor too.

I am very very very impressed with mine and kicking myself as I have always bought brand new!

Let me know what else you want to know. I am just shocked at how spankingly new this baby is...!

Steve