Bought a rMBP but have doubts thx to macrumors :/

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bravenewmac, Dec 14, 2013.

1. bravenewmac macrumors member

Ok so i bought myself the top 13" 2013 rMBP i need it for graphic design stuff (will hook it up to a external monitor). I thought i bought a great product but wtf is going on with screen quality? Ive read that you either get a samsung screen that is yellowish or a lg screen that has burn in problems? Could some give me more details? Every LG has burn in? Also is the yellowish tint on the samsung something i can get away with color calibration ?

anyway tell me more …*i kind of feel bad about the pickup after spending some time reading here

2. chakdey macrumors regular

I got a 15 in rmbp and got a LG screen, so far its prefect.

3. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

does you screen look bad ? If so take it to Apple and talk with them. If it doesn't, don't worry just enjoy your new system. Problems are amplified by the internet.

4. bravenewmac thread starter macrumors member

i haven´t received mine just yet. Iam just worried because if i get a LG for example i heard that burn in can start to occur after 6 month or later…so its not even a thing i get to see right after getting it…

5. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

i have a samsung, it does not seem yellow to me compared to my desktop monitors

6. qawsed macrumors regular

This forum attracts some of the most neurotic, peculiar people that one would ever come across. Don't take any notice of it. Most of the threads here are viewed purely for entertainment purposes.

7. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Ask your eyes what they think instead of asking us.

8. ohbrilliance, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Then take it to Apple after 6 months. Or if you're still worried, then get Applecare before the 12 months are up.

You do know that it just might not happen? The minority with issues are vastly over-represented on these forums.

9. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Don't let the people on MacRumors make you question your decision. The complainers are idiots. I feel very sorry for Apple for having to deal with them. Seriously, take what they write as examples of psychological disorders...and be thankful you don't have to interact with them in real life.

You will be thrilled with your new MBPr! It is a great machine! I have had many models and only had one issue when the z key went out. Apple repaired in 24 hours.

Apple's support is excellent and they will take great care of you if anything should happen. However, odds are that nothing will be wrong with your machine and it will serve you well.

Cheers!
    -P

10. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

If your system has no issues then enjoy it. If you're truly worried about the future get Apple Care in a few months time.

Don't worry about things that haven't occurred. ;)

11. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

Unfortunately, you are one of many, OP. At least you took the time to voice your concerns, as I'm sure they're are many like you who grew concerned about potential issues and started to think their machines had issues. Like others have said, unless you see a problem, don't worry about it. If a problem arises in the future, Apple has excellent support. Don't start looking for and fabricating issues, like some of the users here.

12. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I've bought quite a few rMBP's for my company both 13 and 15", my wife and I each use a 13". No problems whatsoever.

As qawsed mentioned forums attract some unique characters ...

When you get yours, open the box, turn it on and use it. Don't check for the screen manufacturer or do the ridiculous burn-in test on the bright white background ... it's laughable...

When you're using it the first few days if you notice a problem or if something about it is bothering then for sure contact Apple for a solution or return it.

13. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Hey! I am NOT neurotic! :D

14. john123, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

john123 macrumors 68020

john123

This x1000. I'm kinda pissed off about it, because there have been several users like the OP who have been scared by these folks.

15. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Yeah, it seems silly to worry about the display when you don't even have it yet. What you should worry about is the idle temperature. Is it going to idle at 70C? Wow, that would be crazy!

What I would do, given the circumstances, is call Fed Ex and see if they can get one of their delivery people to open it up and install iStat or Temperature Monitor and report some temps too you every hour or so during transit. That way, at least you'll know and be able to sleep (or lose sleep) accordingly.

Of course, if there are any actual problems in the first year, simply take it to Apple. Beyond that, I think Apple Care is generally a good idea for portables. It's not the scam that is often associated with extended warranties. It's the real thing and it's a pretty good value. $10/month = peace of mind.

----------

No way!

16. Chatran macrumors member

I received my 13" rmbp not long ago. The screen is "a018 3016". I have heard that all 13" come with LG.

I found no yellowish problem (perfectly white), but retention problem at first (famous checkerboard test). But strangely i cannot see retention anymore now (10 min full brightness) after some use.

I am not sure if this retention problem will appear again later though.

I tested this machine using Windows so I could rule out any bug in Maverick. It seems it has no issue like those "keyboard unresponsive" or wifi problem. It could be a reason that I don't let it sleep. I would just leave it on or shut it down.

17. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

What? Why are you worried about this—never mind telling the OP to worry about it? I've really not seen many reports about this, other than from people who are either paranoid and don't understand the temps at which the CPU should run, or who are confusing Celsius and Fahrenheit.

18. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Honestly, I thought my post was so over-the-top that there wasn't even the slightest chance of it being taken seriously. I was more poking fun at myself than anything.

To clarify for OP:

I do not really mean for you to call Fed Ex and ask them to install stuff on your computer in transit. I probably should have used an emoticon in my original post to indicate that I was being silly.

My only serious suggestions:

1) Any problems in first year, simply take it to Apple.
    2) Apple Care is a pretty good deal to get that extended to a total of 3 years.

19. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

I wondered, especially given your last line...but...I've seen so much over-the-top stuff lately that is serious (especially on the temps issue) that I've stopped assuming. Wow, that's bad, isn't it?

20. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My 13" 2.4/8/256 is just fine. No display issues, and trackpadgate was eradicated with the firmware update. It also runs a lot cooler than my old 2009 MBP. The fan was audible the other day, but I was watching netflix in bed.

21. richard13 macrumors 6502a

This. Don't worry about problems you don't know you have yet. When you get your computer check it out (like anything you buy). If there are no problems then be happy. If there are, return or exchange it.

22. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

My 13" came with a fairly yellowish screen. I was too busy to return it in the given 14 day return period. I've gotten used to it, colors still look good. Would I rather a slightly cooler/brighter display? Sure, but if your not OCD, you do get used to it.

23. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

my base rMBP is perfect, especially at the Black friday price.

relax...enjoy...and get productive

24. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

25. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

In another life we would be brothers.