bought a second hand ACD today..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ohla313, May 16, 2011.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I bought a 2005 20" ACD today and have a few questions about and displays in general.

For the 2005 model, is there supposed to be some rubber stop on the bottom of the base? It seems like there was one but it doesn't affect the display's usability at all. I'd like to get the stop if there is a way though.

The FireWire port is not square shaped like the port on my 2010 MBP, is there an adapter I can buy to make it usable? The display has 2 USB and 2 FireWire ports so I'd like to use it to its full ability.

When I run my MBP in clamshell mode and use Flash, the fans kick up so wouldn't it be better to not run in clamshell mode to give the MBP more room to breathe?

Thanks!

2. applegeek13 macrumors regular

The display you bought uses FireWire 400. Your Macbook Pro uses FireWire 800. You need one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Sonnet-FireWire-400-Adapter-FAD-824/dp/B0000CDJPQ

You can possibly find them cheaper on eBay. Flash runs up the fans on most Macs, at least in my experience. Perhaps try propping up the back of your MBP so it has more room to breathe? If you have the space, I would use a dual display set-up, not Clamshell mode. But to each their own. I hope this helps!

3. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

This helped greatly! Thank you very much. Opening the MBP or propping the back would be fine for the fans then?

Also do these displays last for awhile? Well, I mean this did since it is a 2005 but I just want to see how much more life it got. It seems sturdy though

4. applegeek13 macrumors regular

Glad I could help. Propping it up should help a bit, as the fans have more air to move. Like I said, Flash taxes Macs more than their Windows counterparts. I have a 2003 23" Cinema display, one of the acrylic ones with an Apple Display Connector. It still looks great to this day, and it's about the biggest display I can fit on my desk. The panel is the same as yours, I do believe. These are great displays. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

5. tsugaru macrumors 6502

I use mine closed when hooked up to my iMac. (Unfortunately my new one won't allow this anymore.) As long as it's propped up with the vents facing up, allowing heat to escape up, then it'll be fine.

You can get a Twelve South laptop stand that does this. I did the DIY route and made out of Lego. :p

6. ohla313, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I think for stands I'd probably go for the mStand so that I can use it as a dual monitor with the ACD. Probably later on down the road tho..

Still need to know about the bottom rubber stop. Anyone have this model?

Also what's the optimal resolution for this display? It's currently set at 1680x1050

7. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

8. applegeek13 macrumors regular

I believe that 1680x1050 is the maximum resolution for that monitor. As for the rubber stop, I don't know. If it really is important to you, you can try the feet they put on the bottom of furniture to keep it from scratching the floor. Just a thought.