Bought a second-hand iPhone 5s- poor battery performance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeff123816, Sep 12, 2016.

1. jeff123816 macrumors member

I recently purchased a used iPhone 5s for what seemed like a very good price of approximately $100. The phone is in really good condition with the exception of the battery. I've updated it to iOS 9.3.5 but the battery seems to loose approximately 10% of its charge per hour just on standby. I have barely any third party apps installed and the battery status in settings does not indicate that any particular app is responsible for substantial drain. If the phone is actually being used, the drain is even greater. I have read that the 5s battery was not the best to begin with... assuming the phone was purchased and heavily used since its launch, should I assume that the battery is pretty much out of charge cycles or is this just typical 5s performance? A local phone repair shop charges $40 to replace batteries on these phones which, to me, would be worth the cost if it improves things. Would a new battery improve performance?

Thanks!

2. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Yes the battery is shot. New one will end this issue, although performance will never be as new as the newer iOS versions historically tax older devices.

3. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Yes, that's not typical for a 5s, a new battery will significantly improve the battery life.

4. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

My wife's 5 was like that. Then she got a brand new battery installed free of charge under the battery replacement program because there were defective batteries. It didn't change anything. My 5 and 5s however were pretty good.

5. Abs_p macrumors 6502a