Bought a Speck Candyshell - Possibly fake?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by danetello, Dec 31, 2010.

1. danetello macrumors 6502

I bought a Speck Candyshell from a seller on Amazon. When I received it, I noticed the box was for the Speck fitted, but with a Candyshell inside. Is it possible that the case is fake? :eek:

Attached Files:

2. danetello thread starter macrumors 6502

Here are some more photos

Attached Files:

3. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Yep that's a fake. I bought one and it doesn't have the Speck Logo on the inside of the case. Does yours have the Speck Logo?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That looks like a real candyshell ... what really makes you think it is fake?

5. danetello thread starter macrumors 6502

This does say Speck on the inside with the logo in orange next to it. The reason I thought it was fake was because it came in a Speck Fitted box instead of the Candyshell box.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm sure it's real ... the box is still a speck box, the case itself is stamped speck on the back, and it looks and feels like a candyshell, correct?

They just shoved it into the wrong box - not a big deal.

I'd be worried if it came in a griffin or belkin box.

7. JASApplications macrumors 65816

yeh my bad. It must be real. I bought one without a Speck logo inside that was from eBay and it is fake.

8. mpdonlanjr macrumors newbie

it should have a black ring inside the camera cut-out so the flash doesnt reflect off the white plastic.

The inside should also be black not gray

And none of my candyshells came wrapped in any sort of plastic material.

9. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Can you tell us the seller? I just ordered one on Amazon from "ExcellenZze" for $9.97 "fulfilled by Amazon," as the page says. They have nothing but good feedback, so either all of their buyers are dumb or they are selling the real thing. (I figured for $10 it was worth the risk.)

10. innoutlover01 macrumors newbie

I just purchased the case from excellenzzee for the $10 and I received the keyhole cutout version :(

11. obyte macrumors regular

If you post up a picture of the speck logo that is stamped on the actual case, that's a good way to tell if it's fake.

the speck 'star' * will be thinner on the fake 'arms' of the star when compared to a real speck case.

12. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

does look legit...the seller probably just put it in a fitted box for some odd reason.

13. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Just got mine from them too and it too is the keyhole version. Guess I'll be contacting Speck in the morning and leaving negative feedback on Amazon about their deception. Anyone else that's gotten one of these needs to do the same - they've got nothing but 5-star marks and that's exactly why I purchased from them. Had I known it was a keyhole case I wouldn't have bought from them. I'd pay a bit more to save the hassle.

14. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

maybe it was returned and stuffed into the wrong box.

15. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

16. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

looks good to me. slap that thing on and be happy with it..

17. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Wanted to post an updated on these old Candyshells being sold on Amazon - be very careful when buying on Amazon. As already noted, many are getting the keyhole opening, but more disturbing than that is that somehow the seller I bought mine through (ExcellenZze) is having feedback removed and I don't know how they're doing it. How do I know? Because I posted negative feedback and it's not there! I posted a negative feedback January 13 and it's nowhere to be found. There's currently only one 1-star review and I am curious to see if that will remain for long. I thought the only way for feedback to be removed on Amazon was for the buyer to do so? Hmm. Not so in MY case, that's for sure.

18. maniacphoner macrumors regular

i have found to receive wrong items in the packaging at times. human error people make all the time.

19. ChinaAzzi macrumors regular

I was in the Shenzhen market yesterday and I saw a lot of Speck cases in the same packaging as your photos. I took a close look at the cases and I have to say they are all excellent. If you had the original beside the ones there I don't think you could tell the difference in quality. The one they have for iPod touch is as good as a case can get. The price is around $1 including the package. The package cost as much as the case to make. I suggest if you like the case and you don't have a problem with it then enjoy it. :)

20. kludger, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

kludger macrumors newbie

Same situation here bought it on Amazon from Excellenzze the picture shows the new case with oval opening, but keyhole is what is shipped. Speck says I can send to them for exchange with newer model but I don't want Excellenze/Amazon to keep fooling people so I returned to Amazon for refund and gave Excellenze bad feedback, yet when I look at their feedback rating it show 5 stars perfect 34 out of 34. Something fishy going on.

21. threezero macrumors 6502

I've bought fake candyshell for $8 and under and I have brought real candyshell from big retail chain for $30. Only than the fact than the fake one comes with a screen protector and the real one doesn't. It is EXACTLY the same. Same material, same packaging, same fitting, same color, same peeling problem and yes it also has the speck logo.

There are horrible counterfeit out there. There are also amazing counterfeit that goes for fraction of the cost of the real ones. And it comes with a screen protector. The candyshell is probably most copied case.

I honestly don't know why anyone would buy a real one. It's so overpriced.