Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
This weekend is tax-free weekend in South Carolina, which means there is no sales tax on items that are commonly purchased by students before going back to school (clothes, computers, etc.). I took advantage of this today by buying my wife a 15" MacBook Pro along with a 1TB Time Capsule to replace our dying Linksys WRT54G router. Apple was also running a deal where customers got a free HP C4680 printer (after rebate), so I got one of these, too.

The Time Capsule seems to get a lot of flak for being too expensive for what it does, so I'd like to share the positives I've found after having set it up today that make it worth it for me:

- We're now a two-Mac, two-Phone family, so Time Capsule pretty much integrates seamlessly with these devices. I don't have to worry about any of the headaches or missing features that plague Windows users. Setting up the Time Capsule using AirPort Utility was a snap, and I especially liked the fact that I could choose the "replace an existing router" option which set up Time Capsule with the same SSID and encryption key as my previous router. All I had to do was choose my old router from a list of recently-connected networks and AirPort Utility did the rest.

- The USB port on the Time Capsule lets me share my new printer with both Macs as well as the iPhone. I printed a 4x6 photo straight from my iPhone using the HP iPrint app and it turned out great. I've yet to see anyone mention this nifty feature in a review of this device. Sure, you could get the same result if you were using a Mac or Bonjour for Windows to share the printer, but that would require purchasing a desktop computer that we'd be willing to leave running 24/7 (I have an old Windows machine that would have worked but it sounds like a jet engine).

- The dual-band router seems to be working really well. Both my wife and I have noticed a bump in our Internet connection speed (especially when streaming video) over our old router, and I suspect it's because we're connecting on the 5Ghz frequency and avoiding the interference from the six other wireless networks around my house.

I am backing up my computer to the Time Capsule, and yes it is taking quite a long time (I'm doing it wirelessly). I'm hoping that the incremental back-ups will be pretty quick. I've never been a back-up fanatic, so if the constant back-ups get in the way, I'll just turn off Time Machine and periodically put the files I care about on there manually.

Overall I feel it was a good purchase. I'll post more later if my impressions change.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Congrats. I bought mine about a week ago. The new price point of the 1TB (IMHO) makes it a great deal.

Like you mentioned DB rocks! Make sure you setup the 5ghz band (it will show up as another network).

Cheers,

R

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
networked printers have been around for a while, whether it is built into the printer, or used with a $20 USB print server. It really is a must have, even if you have just one computer at home.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Glad you like your time capsule. My parents have had the 500GB time capsule for a while. When the price dropped last week, I went out and bought a 1TB time capsule for my place. Both my roommate and I back up to it with Time Machine. This thing really zips! She has an older macbook, doing transfers over 802.11G, mine was transferring over 802.11N, so the drive was really crunching between the two transfers, and we were surfing the internet, and my TiVo was downloading shows, and my iPhone was intermittently using skype - great product! I love that it's all in one.

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Congrats on your bought! I have the 1T but unfortunately with the previous prices.... But i really love it!

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
excellent. glad you like it!

rkdiddy: how do you set it up with the 5GHz band? when i set up my airport exreme (yes it's the simultaneous dual-band version), it didn't give me that option. i thought it just put you on the frequency that works best for you automatically.

edit: going through manual setup, I seemed to have enabled the 5ghz band as well. but the literature says my devices are automatically set to the right one, but how is this possible if I have to type in my password to connect to each band if i switch back and forth?

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Sounds great. I may have to finally replace my old flying saucer that
is 5 years old. I was going to wait for it to fail, but it just won't lol.

pruiz

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2009
New to this forum - have a question

I have a TIme capsule (1Tb) and wanted to extend the network in the house. i bought an Airport Express and configured it to join the existing network. It works and I see a green light. However, I do not see any increase in the signal (of a PC) whether or not the Express is in. Any suggestions?

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
excellent. glad you like it!

rkdiddy: how do you set it up with the 5GHz band? when i set up my airport exreme (yes it's the simultaneous dual-band version), it didn't give me that option. i thought it just put you on the frequency that works best for you automatically.

edit: going through manual setup, I seemed to have enabled the 5ghz band as well. but the literature says my devices are automatically set to the right one, but how is this possible if I have to type in my password to connect to each band if i switch back and forth?

As I understand it there are two ways to take advantage of the 5Ghz band. The first requires you to do nothing; both frequencies run on the same SSID, and the device connecting to it will switch bands automatically based on which one is most optimal. The second way is to have a second SSID that only runs on the 5Ghz band. Using this method, you connect your device to that SSID to guarantee it will always use the 5Ghz band.

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
networked printers have been around for a while, whether it is built into the printer, or used with a $20 USB print server. It really is a must have, even if you have just one computer at home.

The thing that's unique about using a Time Capsule or AirPort to share a printer is that it works via Bonjour, so you can do things like print wirelessly from the iPhone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you'd be able to do that with just any router. The only alternative would be to have a machine either running OS X or Windows with Bonjour installed and share the printer with that machine.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
Time Machine + Time Capsule = Disaster.

Never had succesfully done a backup : Every time the timemachine hangs when finishing the backup. Meh...
And daily backups...forget it. Did a backup yesterday after few months hiatus : it was 165Gb. It took 13 hours with a ethernet cable connected to the TC.

Today it was a daily backup time,manually. 50.1Gb... Estimated time via wlan, 14 hours.
So,practically the machine is backing up 60% of the the day...

Riiiight.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
Never had a problem w/ my backups to TC, worked every time.

To the OP; I often turn off Tmachine myself and only turn it on every now & then to get a backup every week at least, perhaps every few days. Does the trick. If I'm working on an important project I'll leave it on so I'm covered.

mrCide

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
I find it's important to exclude certain things from TC/TM or it becomes a real headache. Things like my downloads folder, and my vmware workstations folder. Just logging into the vmware's guest OS will require several gigs to be rebacked up, and really for no purpose (for me anyway).

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
how do you disable it from backing up the vmware stuff? I have parallels, and i hate that every time i turn it on, my computer has to back up waaaaay too much. i exclude music and movies and stuff because i keep that on my desktop computer, but i don't know how to exclude TM from backing up the unnecessary stuff from parallels.

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
If you don't want Time Machine to backup certain files or folders, navigate to Time Machine Preferences>Options, and click the little + icon to add files or folders you would like to be excluded from your backup.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I find it's important to exclude certain things from TC/TM or it becomes a real headache. Things like my downloads folder, and my vmware workstations folder. Just logging into the vmware's guest OS will require several gigs to be rebacked up, and really for no purpose (for me anyway).

Thanks for the tip - I use Parallels (rarely) and haven't had any issues, but to your point there really is no need to back it up.

Cheers.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I know that. what i don't know are which specific folders to select to stop time machine from backing up the stuff that changes when i use parallels (8.3GB last time!). this would be a question directed at someone like mrCide, but with knowledge of parallels.

windows xp.vpm ?

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2009
UK
I do think the time capsule is very good. I just need to decide between the 1TB and 2TB lol.

iheartzombie

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2009
congrats,

i'm looking into getting on of these as well.
i like how my family can visit and have their Macs backed up on it as well, that's pretty awesome.

i'll definitely do a wired backup first though since i hear wireless would take forever.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Time Capsule is all fun and games until you have serious hard drive failure on the internal drive. Then, you're stuck. That happened to me earlier this year. I lost about two weeks worth of iTunes purchases. I just happened to have backed up the Time Capsule to an external drive a few weeks before.

I had my first failure when my MacBook's hard drive died and tried to restore from my Leopard disc and Time Capsule. The Time Capsule would blink amber. Before the attempt at restoring, it was green. AppleCare said there weren't any support options available for Time Capsule (you can't even run Disk Utility on it to repair simple disk or permission errors, etc).

AppleCare's only answer was to replace the entire unit. They don't offer any type of attempt at recovery.

I think the AirPort Extreme + external USB drive is a much better option. At least you can perform recovery and disk utility functions on the external USB drive if you need to. However, I wish you the best of luck with it. Be sure to back it up!

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Bozz, there's an option in Parallels desktop for Mac 4.0 to not backup from the time capsule, if you have admin rights, it'll do it for you.

Other version's I'm not sure, perhaps ask them.

Kind Regards

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Time Capsule is all fun and games until you have serious hard drive failure on the internal drive. Then, you're stuck. That happened to me earlier this year. I lost about two weeks worth of iTunes purchases. I just happened to have backed up the Time Capsule to an external drive a few weeks before.

I had my first failure when my MacBook's hard drive died and tried to restore from my Leopard disc and Time Capsule. The Time Capsule would blink amber. Before the attempt at restoring, it was green. AppleCare said there weren't any support options available for Time Capsule (you can't even run Disk Utility on it to repair simple disk or permission errors, etc).

AppleCare's only answer was to replace the entire unit. They don't offer any type of attempt at recovery.

I think the AirPort Extreme + external USB drive is a much better option. At least you can perform recovery and disk utility functions on the external USB drive if you need to. However, I wish you the best of luck with it. Be sure to back it up!

There is always the option to tear apart TC and hook the hd to your Mac. Then you can repair permissions and do whatever you want.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Bozz, there's an option in Parallels desktop for Mac 4.0 to not backup from the time capsule, if you have admin rights, it'll do it for you.

Other version's I'm not sure, perhaps ask them.

Kind Regards

I do have parallels 4.0, but i actually have an airport extreme (simultaneous dual band). will it work with the airport, or just time capsule? Can you tell me how/where to find the option to not back up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.