Bought a used iPad 2 -- has light leakage.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NameUndecided, Nov 8, 2011.

1. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

So I feel kind of silly, but it's a risk one takes when buying a used [anything] off of Craigslist. I responded to an ad for an iPad 2 white model that was for sale, I bought it yesterday as everything looked fine. Now the next day, today, I realize that it's got light leakages on the edges visible in a darkened room when the screen is black.
    I've no reason to believe either way if the seller knew about this issue or was aware that it is an issue. Honestly, I didn't know that it would be something to ask a seller about until today.

I've no original box, and I've no Apple Care plan. Might it be that I'm just stuck? I'm strongly considering texting the guy I bought it from, asking if he was aware of the light leakage when he listed it for sale and then made the deal with me.

Suggestions? No harsh criticism please, it's a learning experience, now I know better.

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

You have to have a black screen in a dark room to notice this?
    Just trying to understand what is driving the issue

3. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

A black image, like the letterboxed area of a widescreen movie. The brightness doesn't need to be all the way up, and the room doesn't need to be entirely dark.

4. shortys408 macrumors regular

ipad 2 isnt even a year old yet. get apple to replace it, its still under warranty

5. theConvinced macrumors member

Buyer Beware!

There is no reason it is the sellers responsibility. You had every opportunity to inspect it. Or if not you could have declined to buy. But don't fret all iPad 2's are still under 1 year factory warranty as long as there are no signs of abuse as determined by Apple so take it back.

Lastly I have to agree with the 2nd poster if you try that hard with most items there will be some material defect. If it does not affect your everyday use......... my 2 cents.

6. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually agree with you. I just wasn't entirely certain if Apple store people would be terribly thrilled if I brought in an iPad 2 without a box or receipt and I ask if there's anything they can do. For whatever reason that I can't quite define, it doesn't feel entirely morally right, but that may just be something for me to get over and take it in anyway.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

When one buys something used it should be expected to have problems. Apple is no longer resposible.

Your responsibly is to live with with it without complaint.

If that's not acceptable, Apple will sell you a new one complete with warranty.

8. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes: If this was an issue that was caused by the previous owner or myself, I wouldn't even consider the idea of bringing it to Apple.

9. bri1212 macrumors 6502

not so fast

Although you may be right that buying a used item anywhere, especially on craigslist, does have it's risks. This item is still under Apple warrantee. As long as it wasn't stolen, the OP should have no problem with Apple care.

Unless this is really bad, I think you are being too OCD. All LCD screens have this to some extent. When I am watching something on my Ipad. I never notice the very minor light bleeding. Now, perhaps yours is alot worse than mine, in which case, you have every right to bitch and complain ( in a nice way ) and see what you can get from the genius' at the bar.

10. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Why would you care? Are you going to be using the device in a dark room with the screen black?

sigh.....

11. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is quite noticeable while watching letterboxed movies in a dimly lit room. Like spotlights along the middle of two edges and on three corners. I searched around on the issue and saw that this was a widespread enough problem during the iPad 2's first months. I'm not nitpicking. I can live with it and not be filled with regret over this iPad that I've chosen. I'm just considering my options.

12. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

make an appointment with a genius at the nearest store. you should be able to get it replaced under warranty.

13. macdatadrive macrumors regular

oh...

i say don't take it to apple but take it to an authorised dealer... theres a difference because next byte isn't 'the apple store' but its an authrosized repairer... my macbook (blame my mum) had a broken trackpad cracked hinges... took it there got it all replaced for FREE!!!! oh the greatness of unlimited warranty LOL

14. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for being so helpful and supportive to all who were helpful and supportive. I took it to the Genius Bar this morning and they were very helpful [and supportive]. The product was still under warranty (of course, as some of you said) and they changed its serial number information from its previous owner over to me. I got back what was probably a refurbished model that they had on hand and they made it clear that if there was anything off about this new one, they wouldn't be able to keep exchanging one after the other, which is understandable.
    I got home and tested the new item in a completely dark room with a full black image and the brightness turned all the way up (extreme circumstance) and the black is so much more consistent and even across the whole of the screen -- no more spotlights! So thank you to all. I wouldn't have known that this was an available option if I hadn't brought this to people's attention.

15. poloponies Suspended

You didn't know there was a warranty?

16. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't realize or remember that it was a full year without buying Apple Care. Saying that I wouldn't have known is probably an exaggeration -- I'm sure I would have figured it out -- but people pointing it out here even sooner was very helpful.

17. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

On a side note.....kudos to you OP for being civil and polite in a thread that saw several judgmental and snarky responses. And kudos to those of you who were able to answer his question without being a butt about it.