Bought a used MacBook Pro off Amazon, advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BrettApple, Sep 11, 2013.

1. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Sorry if the title is a little vague, but I'm looking for a second opinion on this.

So late last week I ordered an Early 2008 MacBook Pro 15" on Amazon from a marketplace seller, and it came in yesterday. Ends up I got sent a mid 2007 model with similar specs to the Early 2008 (2.4GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 256MB 8600M GT, 160GB HDD). So it was the upgraded '07 model. So first thing is I got the wrong model, but then I pulled out the power adapter and it is a 60W MagSafe vs the 85W that is needed. It does still power it and charge it however.

So I at least need to contact the seller and get the 85W or get something worked out. But a this point I'm thinking I should just return it and get something without the 8600 due to the high failure rate of these cards. However, this MBP is in nearly perfect condition. No dents, no dings, minimal scratching, no dust anywhere on it or in it. And it looks like it was barely used. So I doubt I would get a model like this again. It's just so dang nice. Not to mention the battery has been replaced at some point and has about 90 cycles, but still lasts for a few hours.

And one more tidbit of information, I *only* payed $335 for this model, so I think even with it being an '07, with the condition it is in, was a fair price.

So what do you all think? Keep it and get the 85W P/A, or return it and find something else?

----------

And FWIW, my main machine is a Late 2008 MacBook, upgraded with 8GB RAM, a 120GB OWC SSD in the optical bay, and a 750GB WD Black HDD for storage.

So this is really just to supplement my main machine and to take to school without worrying about all my personal stuff being with me in a backpack or around the school. My main worry is just the age of the computer, even though it's supported my Mavericks and running ML. And the 8600M GT.

2. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Probably not the answer you want to hear and not siding the the seller but I know Amazon used item descriptions are sometimes very scarce with details. Did it say anything about what it included or whatnot? Obviously the wrong laptop is a big thing (07 vs 08) but if it just said 'charger' without specifying which one, well, he may be covered on that front.

I don't know offhand how big of a difference it is 07 vs 08 spec/performance wise, but if it's acceptable, I would suggest keep it. Maybe email the seller and ask if they sent the wrong charger or something and see what they say, maybe a partial refund would be in order and can help offset the cost of a new/refurbished/used one. An 07 in great condition is probably somewhat uncommon, being 6 years old.

3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Despite the well-earned bad rap regarding the graphics card those are still decent machines. You're not taking a huge gamble by keeping it, at under $350 at stake, and to find a first-gen unibody model in that kind of shape would be at least $150 more for no appreciable performance boost (aside from graphics, and assuming you are okay with 4GB RAM).

As for its age in general, I have older machines than that which are still quite useful. Macs age gracefully (again, excluding the graphics card, and if it's made it 6 years it should make it a few more!).

4. BrettApple thread starter macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Thanks for the replies. I'm considering keeping it. I'll contact the seller about the model and charger and see what they say though. I'm still just worried about the Nvidia failure coming at me, don't really feel like baking the logic board :p

But at the same time, the unibody models are going for a minimum of $500, though they aren't likely to fail. But for around $150 more, I can put in 4GB RAM and a 120GB SSD in this one. I know it's only SATA 1, but it would still be a good boost.

After spending some time with it though, I really like this machine. Has a beautiful display compared to my MacBook. And the speakers are much improved, though not quite as loud. Only thing I really miss is the multitouch trackpad.

Decisions, decisions. :rolleyes:

5. BrettApple thread starter macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Well I got in contact with the seller yesterday and he said that he would send me an 85W MagSafe and I could keep the 60W. But I got a reply today that it would just be a reimbursement of $40 and I could get one. Which would be fine with any other brand of laptop, but Apple? No, $80! Oh well, I'm just going to go with it, it would double as a backup for my main MacBook anyway.

So 85W MagSafe I can get for $80, less at a few places, but out of box.
    4GB RAM runs about $60
    And a 120GB SSD around $100

So $575 total spent, and -$40 is a grand total of $535.
    $535 for a 2007 MBP W/4GB, SSD, and a new P/A. Not super bad, but kind of wish it was less. Worst case if the MBP dies, I can reuse the P/A and SSD in other things. We'll see how it goes!

Sorry in advance for putting random ramblings on MR :rolleyes:

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I stick to direct authorize sellers and avoid the hassle. Amazon 3rd party is nothing but trouble. You save some money, but you never know what you you are going to get. To me it's not worth it.

7. BrettApple thread starter macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I think I just figured that out. But now I'll know.

I usually get most of my stuff from OWC (RAM, SSD, DataDoubler, NuPower batteries) and I just found out that they're offering used Mac's now. So that is good news. I don't know if they will continue this, but it is welcome. I found out since I was on their site today to RMA my battery that I got in April that has never lasted over an hour and a half with idle usage. So I'll see how that goes, at least I have a Mac I can take off the charger at least.

I also found out they have MagSafe chargers for $60 (W/1yr warranty), so I know what I'll be getting soon. :D

8. richorlin macrumors regular

Return it!

Amazon requires their Market Place sellers to list the items accurately and will side with the buyer EVERY time. Contact the seller for a return/refund. Open an A-to-Z claim on this and you will be guaranteed a return. You overpaid for a six year old Macbook and didn't even get what you paid for. You can do better than that in price and specs.

9. arular7 macrumors newbie

One note:
    The NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT can give you problems with long term intensive use, such as 3D rendering and video encoding :D these tasks aggravated the problem. It happened to mine back in july this year, logic board is almost dead. Unluckily Apple's free repair program ended last year and I didn't know about it earlier :mad:

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

But you can easily avoid the hassle of arguing about whether or not what you received was what was advertised, waiting for a reply from the 3rd party seller and Amazon, waiting for approval of return, going through the physical return process, waiting for refund, etc by simply not buying from Amazon resellers. This process takes time and effort that could be put to much better use. Play it safe and stick to Apple Store, amazon's own, or the reputable online stores, not Amazon 3rd party.