Bought a Used MBP - And it just crashed! Video Issue? Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JChivell, Sep 23, 2010.

1. JChivell macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So, I wanted to get into macs and see what they were all about. I've been doing PC Sales and Repair at a BigBox retailer for quite a few years, but have no experience with macs. So, I bought a used MBP A1227 off eBay this week.

To cut to the chase, its not working now and here is what is going on:

I turn on the power, hear the chime, and after about 45 seconds the keyboard lights up. However, there is no video! The screen is completely blank.

I tried using DVI out to my monitor and switching the video outputs (F7 I think). Still nothing

Tried all the reset keystrokes I could find online. Nothing.

Finally, I took it to a near-by *certified* apple repair place. There is no actually Apple store anywhere near me. They said it wasn't the nVidia chip issue that is covered under warranty and wanted to charge me lots of money to diagnose the problem.

So here is where I'm at: I have read some other forums on this, so I've done a little bit of research. I've heard that it might take several tests to get a correct reading for the nVidia test? Is there anything else that I can try myself? What should I do????

(By the way, thanks for your help in advance, I really appreciate it!)

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If it is the 8600M GT problem, call up AppleCare and setup a repair. They'll send you a box to ship it off to a repair centre.

3. moel macrumors 6502

yup the 3,1 has the 8600m GT

Ring Apple and tell them of your issue, also give them the name of the apple certified repair centre and what they said. Because it sounds to me like the certified repair place is trying to take you for an expensive ride!

I'd say with 90% confidence you have the graphics issue, and that you'll have it sorted for free :)

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Did the eBay listing say it doesn't work? If it does not then why bother with applecare; send it back as defective,