Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merlosso

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
...Buying the airport extreme would be a waste of money. The FIOS router is a G router, unless they have a newer model that has N. Since your connection from the FIOS box to the router is coax cable and not ethernet, you would have to connect the airport extreme to the FIOS router. That is G out from FIOS and G in to airport. You cannot get N out from a G in unless someone can explain to me how you get more out of less in. Thats like trying to get 20 amps out of a 15 amp circuit breaker.

You connect the FiOS router to the Airport Extreme by ethernet cable. An ethernet connection is faster than 802.11n wireless connection. You will get true 802.11n speed from the AE because the FiOS router is basically just a cable modem in this configuration and the AE is the router.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
You connect the FiOS router to the Airport Extreme by ethernet cable. An ethernet connection is faster than 802.11n wireless connection. You will get true 802.11n speed from the AE because the FiOS router is basically just a cable modem in this configuration and the AE is the router.

Thanks, you are correct. I've been wireless so long that I forgot about the ethernet speed. Now a question. If I'm using the FIOS router as a modem only, I assume I can turn off the wireless, correct? Then I will not have to change any settings in the FIOS router as they will be disabled. All I will have to do is set up AE and re-connect my wireless printer wirelessly (or with a USB cable) to the AE.

wilycoder

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Thanks, you are correct. I've been wireless so long that I forgot about the ethernet speed. Now a question. If I'm using the FIOS router as a modem only, I assume I can turn off the wireless, correct? Then I will not have to change any settings in the FIOS router as they will be disabled. All I will have to do is set up AE and re-connect my wireless printer wirelessly (or with a USB cable) to the AE.

Correct, that's exactly what I did.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
Did you change any of the routers factory settings or did you just set it up and go? Basically, did it work right out of the box or did you have to change some things?
Apple's B#%@! Lol I've been having wifi issues with my iPad since the day I bought it. Bought it on the day it came out. Was dropping connection...requiring me to constantly enter password etc. Figuring I only had a few days before my 14 day return policy was up I went to my local Best Buy where I bought it with the intention of swapping my iPad for a new one in hopes it would solve my wifi problems. Of course, they didn't have any ipads in stock and when asked when they would get more in they had no clue. So me, loving my Ipad as much as I do and didn't want to go home without one, thought of alternatives. I remembered reading how people who were using the Airport Extreme weren't experiencing any wifi issues.

So long and behold I bought the Airport Extreme and 2 days later haven't dropped my connection once. :) I'm very happy about that and has made the iPad even more of a joy to use ( not having to constantly put in my password) but I feel like Apple should take more responsibility with the wifi issue because it is definitely there whether it's a software issue or hardware issue. If my iPhone or laptops have never had any problems with dropping connection there is no excuse why soo many ipads should be having this problem. I have no idea how Apple didn't see this coming!

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I've had an airport extreme for two years now, my router that came with my fios service was garbage. It was worth the $180. And now I don't have any wifi issues with my iPad! I think apple should have spend a little more time in the CAD lab, it's cool that the iPad is clean looking, but it's not very efficient.

yankintx

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2010
I guess I'm amused by these threads because I have an old school linksys and haven't had any of these wifi problems some people are having...

I had a 3 yr old comcast net gear wireless g router and had zero problems. I had comcast replace it with a new net gear range master n router and lo and behold, I now have wifi problems. The iPad keeps losing the wireless connection and asking me for the password. I checked all the settings and they are identical to the old router, and I now have issues. I am convinced that many of these wifi dud ipads are having issues because of the routers being used.

I'll be getting my old wireless g router back from comcast on Monday!
When the wifi is working, I do get faster download speeds, but I still have the same dead spots in my home, so the so called 300 ft range of the n router is bull.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
So your saying your getting more range or worse? Sorry your having trouble's, i know exactly how you feel, im getting my second ipad monday along with a apple airport extreme. Hopefully everything works like its supposed to this time.
I had a 3 yr old comcast net gear wireless g router and had zero problems. I had comcast replace it with a new net gear range master n router and lo and behold, I now have wifi problems. The iPad keeps losing the wireless connection and asking me for the password. I checked all the settings and they are identical to the old router, and I now have issues. I am convinced that many of these wifi dud ipads are having issues because of the routers being used.

I'll be getting my old wireless g router back from comcast on Monday!
When the wifi is working, I do get faster download speeds, but I still have the same dead spots in my home, so the so called 300 ft range of the n router is bull.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Did you change any of the routers factory settings or did you just set it up and go? Basically, did it work right out of the box or did you have to change some things?

It worked right out of the box...didn't change anything. Can't believe how fast it is. Just as fast as my iMac.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Do I buy an 802.11n router or do I hold out for this. Tough call.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/802.11N-FiOS-Router-Verizon-Broadband,news-6512.html

If Verizon gives me a free upgrade its a no brainer. If I have to pay then depending on how much, I will keep the old router and get an airport extreme. My current router is fine as I have a 10 Mbps download line with a 2 Mbps upload. Current speed on my 3 year 5 month old MBP using speedtest.net is 9.82 Mbps down and 2.24 Mbps up. When I first got FIOS about 1 year ago the speed test showed 10.1 down and 1.9 up. If I have any problems with the iPad and cannot fix the router through settings changes then I'll go ahead and get the AE.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I have an extremely old Linksys modem and a fairly new Airport Extreme and have had no problems at all with my iPad WiFi 16G. I have never dropped a connection or crashed since I got it and have used it everyplace that I've wanted to in my condo. Even as far as I could from the Airport Extreme, and no problems what so ever.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Oh joy. Just went out to Verizon's website. They also have a speed test. It showed the same as speedtest.net. At the same time I noticed that my contract expired in December. Of course, Verizon doesn't tell you. Anyway, I agreed to a new contract that cost a lot less than what I'm currently paying and my speed is going from 10/2 Mbps to 15/5 Mbps.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.