Bought Airport Extreme - need help connecting on windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by convert2mac, Jan 9, 2010.

1. convert2mac macrumors member

convert2mac

Ok, I feel like a doofus, but I need some help if someone is willing.

I bought an Airport Extreme and installed per instructions on the Mac partition. The Extreme replaces an Express as the base unit, the express now extends the range of the network (and is now connected to my stereo system). So, the "new" network that was set up has the exact same name as the old one when it was just the Express.

Everything works fine on the mac side. When I go to my Win XP side (Boot camp) it sees the network but says it cannot connect. To put is simply, I can't remeber what I need to do. I haven't had to mess with this stuff since I set it up almost 2 years ago. Do I need to set up a new network?... I am just drawing a blank. Is keeping the same name for the "new" network part of my problem?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. duky macrumors 6502

Keeping the same name shouldn't matter, I've done that a few times before. Did you change the password though? Maybe Windows is trying to use the same password as before and now is unable to connect because it is not prompting for the new password? Other than that I can't think of why one OS would work and not the other. If I were in your shoes I'd either a) call Apple support and have them troubleshoot or b) (what I'd more likely do first) set up a completely new network with the Extreme, verify that it's working in Windows then set up the Express to extend that and then go into Windows and see if everything is still looking good.

3. convert2mac thread starter macrumors member

convert2mac

nope, same password. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try those next.

4. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

I've had this difficulty, too - Windows doesn't like Airport networks. Based on my experience, it could be any one of a few different things.

Assuming all hardware is working & has the correct drivers & all that, the first thing I'd look to is security stuff. If you have ANY security stuff installed in Windows, disable it, then delete your network from the list, then search for the network again and re "find" it and try to connect.

If that doesn't work, the next thing I'd suggest is to temporarily disable your network password - just to make sure everything CAN talk. You'll probably have to go through the steps above about forgetting/deleting the network (and the settings associated with it) and then finding it again. If it doesn't connect, you may have the Airport broadcasting a frequency that Windows doesn't like. Go into Airport settings and manually change the frequency and see if something works. Don't forget to forget & re-find the network so Windows gets the fresh settings for it.

If it DOES connect with the password disabled, clearly it just doesn't like the password. Windows can be funny about WPA's. If this is the case, go to your Airport settings, Click Manual, then on the Menu Bar, click Base Station, and then Equivalent Network Password. That will give you a 40 hex password to enter into your Windows computer (Thank goodness it will remember it for future use!). Go through the same process of forgetting the network and finding it again.

Hopefully you can get something useful out of that. Good luck!

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I had some issues replacing my FiOS WLAN with the Airport Extreme due to the fact that I kept the same name but upgraded to WPA2 from WEP. I had to delete the network in Windows to let it create a new entry with the right encryption.

B