Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
Hi Guys

Well I bought my macbook in August last year I think on the finance options paying monthly by direct debit, However I haven't had one payment come out of my account. I dont know whether to contact Apple and find out whats happening? Or just keep it on the low :eek:

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Why tell them ? The OP hasnt done anything wrong. Its not his fault they havnt taken the money. So say nothing and let them make up for there mistakes and if they dont, there loss your gain. End of

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Was a Juniper card/account set up for you in the process. I didn't know you could just pay on the installment plan without establishing a line of credit. If a line of credit was established, call customer service. Usually you can get an automated account report. If you have a balance - you are probably racking up some massive interest. If not, it wasn't charged and you have to answer to you conscience.

Perhaps run a fre credit report on yourself. Anything in you name will show up. If you have an outstanding balance you are not paying, you are gouing to end up paying alot more than you bargained.

mrj205

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Virginia
I would talk to someone about it. The longer it goes without being paid, the more and more the interest will grow...

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Ohhh, I hope you don't get smacked with a huge interest charge. If you're purchasing on finance, you're paying some interest. The fact that you haven't made any payments could hurt.

And before you claim it's all Apple's fault, be sure to read the fine print. Many of those financing plans/deals have clauses that place the onus on the buyer to make sure that automatic payments go through.

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
Was a Juniper card/account set up for you in the process. I didn't know you could just pay on the installment plan without establishing a line of credit. If a line of credit was established, call customer service. Usually you can get an automated account report. If you have a balance - you are probably racking up some massive interest. If not, it wasn't charged and you have to answer to you conscience.

Perhaps run a fre credit report on yourself. Anything in you name will show up. If you have an outstanding balance you are not paying, you are gouing to end up paying alot more than you bargained.

I bought it on finance at an apple store in Leicester. Using my debit card, paying something like £50 for 3/4 years. And direct debit was setup there and then

zrbecker

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
You mine aswell take care of it now, because eventally you are going to have to pay them. Better off paying them on your terms instead on their terms.

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
While you might get away with it the short run, the implications of it long-term aren’t worth it. From a credit perspective, if they are sending you monthly statements or e-statements, they still have a legal right to report you to the credit bureaus for non-payment even if they don’t draft it. Will they? In most circumstances no if it’s their fault but taking the time to speak with different departments to correct the error once it gets to a credit bureau is no fun let me tell you and that’s coming from someone who works in banking. Furthermore, as someone else pointed out, there is a possibility you will get charged back interest and/or penalties on those payments.

At the end of the day, be honest, you agreed to pay a certain amount each month. They WILL eventually find the error and you’re still going to be responsible for the payment so why wouldn’t you save yourself the trouble and get the problem fixed now rather than later?

I'll get off my soapbox...;)

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
While you might get away with it the short run, the implications of it long-term aren’t worth it. From a credit perspective, if they are sending you monthly statements or e-statements, they still have a legal right to report you to the credit bureaus for non-payment even if they don’t draft it. Will they? In most circumstances no if it’s their fault but taking the time to speak with different departments to correct the error once it gets to a credit bureau is no fun let me tell you and that’s coming from someone who works in banking. Furthermore, as someone else pointed out, there is a possibility you will get charged back interest and/or penalties on those payments.

At the end of the day, be honest, you agreed to pay a certain amount each month. They WILL eventually find the error and you’re still going to be responsible for the payment so why wouldn’t you save yourself the trouble and get the problem fixed now rather than later?

I'll get off my soapbox...;)

Sure, I have no problem paying it. I just havent received any information from them since purchase, and no payments taken off my card.

I will be giving my friends Apple a call tonight :cool:

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Sure, I have no problem paying it. I just havent received any information from them since purchase, and no payments taken off my card.

I will be giving my friends Apple a call tonight :cool:

That's great to hear! :D

silentnite

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Outer sight.. Outer mind
It's so funny how we think we can get away with things. I'm a musician, let me share my story. So I go to purchase an electronic drum set from Sam Ash. The original price was $1599 but $1299 on special if you opened a store card and you paid it off within 6 months, wow what a great deal.

Enjoying my drum set but never making a payment because they never billed me, I remember saying saying to myself, wow they forgot to bill me. Knowing I should have called them, like the honest person that I am. I instead listened to my girlfriend. well, about 8 months later I get this bill in the mail for $1599, now I'm crying wolf to customer service, I never got a bill from from you guys so why do I have to pay $1599. In the end I got them to go down but not before a lot of stress and letter after letter and a ton of phone calls. This went on for about another 6 months & appeared on my credit report.

Take my advice your enjoying your computer, pay for it. There are no free rides in life. some how you end up paying for it.

Good luck!

wgkealey

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Do not wait. Contact them right now. I had a similar thing happen to me, and I waited. A year down the line I got slapped with a fine, even though I did nothing wrong and had asked to be billed several times. It's still on my credit report. Call them ASAP, because they might be late, but they will not forget about the money, and will charge you for not paying.

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
It's so funny how we think we can get away with things. I'm a musician, let me share my story. So I go to purchase an electronic drum set from Sam Ash. The original price was $1599 but $1299 on special if you opened a store card and you paid it off within 6 months, wow what a great deal.

Enjoying my drum set but never making a payment because they never billed me, I remember saying saying to myself, wow they forgot to bill me. Knowing I should have called them, like the honest person that I am. I instead listened to my girlfriend. well, about 8 months later I get this bill in the mail for $1599, now I'm crying wolf to customer service, I never got a bill from from you guys so why do I have to pay $1599. In the end I got them to go down but not before a lot of stress and letter after letter and a ton of phone calls. This went on for about another 6 months & appeared on my credit report.

Take my advice your enjoying your computer, pay for it. There are no free rides in life. some how you end up paying for it.

Good luck!

Do not wait. Contact them right now. I had a similar thing happen to me, and I waited. A year down the line I got slapped with a fine, even though I did nothing wrong and had asked to be billed several times. It's still on my credit report. Call them ASAP, because they might be late, but they will not forget about the money, and will charge you for not paying.

Both great examples of why honesty is the best policy. Plus, as I pointed out in my post and silentnite gave an example of, these companies will make you run around in circles to get anything done, especially when it comes to credit reporting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.