bought an ipad 2 2 weeks ago and home button only works when it feels like it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lonewolf1994, Dec 16, 2011.

1. lonewolf1994 macrumors newbie

Hey.

So i just made this profile to ask this question, i bought an ipad 2, 2 weeks ago (loving it) but i seem to be having a problem. The home button only works when it feels like it.. most of the time it works fine, but then theres that random moment when it just doesnt want to work even after continues presses. Then it just randomly starts working again.

Its very annoying, especially at school since i have my notes on the ipad and i need to switch apps quickly and it refuses to work. I looked on youtube for a fix and found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YsB_rmzJJNg so i'll try it the next time it stops working, but i'm hoping anyone here can give me a fix or if i need to return it.

My ipad is the wifi only model 32GB

thanks for any help!

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Take it back to apple.

3. lonewolf1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh.. so its a hardware fault? thought it was a common problem since a lot of people seem to have had this Dx

4. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Home buttons commonly dysfunction after many, many months of intense usage.
    If after 2 weeks, then it's probably faulty unit that should be replaced under warranty.
    The annoying thing seems to be that when you go at the Genius Bar, the button often chooses to be in a period of correct functioning :D.

5. lonewolf1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

damn it.. guess i'll have to go replace it then.. so will they believe me if i say it doesnt function well if it pulls a di*k move and starts working at that time?

6. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Take it back, it's under warranty. You'll usually get a replacement, no questions asked.

7. lonewolf1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

well i just learned that.. no one is able to take me there.. and i cant even go by bus because where the store is there isnt any bus stops. so i'm stuck with it till after the new year at least...

fml

8. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

you can use the gestures??

9. lonewolf1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

what gesture do i need to bring up the little bar at the bottom when u double tap?

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Use four fingers to swipe up.

To return to the home screen from within an app, start with all fingers spread out then pull them all toward the center.

11. doboy macrumors 68000

Before wasting time exchanging it, try resetting it first by holding power + home button until the device reboots. Hopefully it just needs rebooting. If that doesn't work then you can try backing up and "reinstalling" iOS 5.0x to see if that fixes it. Then you can restore from the backup.

You may need to enable gestures under Settings first, but definitely recommend it.

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

If you are worried about it working when you take it in, record it with a camera before hand.

13. lonewolf1994, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

lonewolf1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

i did try the rebooting thing, it worked at the beginning for a while, then it just crapped up again. i even tried resetting it to how it was and reinstalled ios 5.0.1 but the home button still wont work. T_T

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Be careful as you might get a refurbished model as opposed to a new one.

I know some people say it does not matter, but that's not the point. After 2 weeks you should hot have to accept a refurbished anything. And should expect a brand new one.

15. Joshitect macrumors member

Same thing happened to me. I called first and they said they would mail me a new one, but I had to put the full price on a credit card and it would be refunded when they got mine. just another option for you.

I ended up bringing it to the local store. They replaced it on the spot, apparently it happens a lot.