iPad Bought an iPad Air with Pixel fault today

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Northwestern, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Northwestern macrumors regular

I bought an iPad Air 64 GB WIFI silver in an electronic store today. I checked the display when I was at home after driving 90 kilometers. First I didn't saw the pixel fault while I went through the startup. Then I thought, lets check the display with a blank page and there it was. One or more pixels in the same spot are dark.

I checked the Apple support page and there was a option to send the iPad to Apple for a check. I chose the option with "UPS will pick the iPad up". The site says, I should keep the box and accessories.

My question: Do you think Apple will send me a new iPad AIR? And is a pixel fault covered by the one year warranty?

I am very unhappy. I paid 659€ for it. I also had an iMac some years ago. The iMac also had a pixel fault in the center and I looked at it for five years.

2. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Just exchange it at the store where you bought it. I wouldn't accept a tablet with a single dead pixel.

3. boobie12 macrumors 6502

4. Northwestern thread starter macrumors regular

I got mail from Apple this morning. UPS will pick up the iPad Air today or tomorrow. I don't want to drive 90 km to the store where I bought it, it would be also 90 km back. Who is paying the petrol? I think with UPS service, this is the best and easiest option.

I checked the display and there is only one pixel black. When I rotate the iPad, I can always see the black spot on an app icon. I hope Apple is sending a new iPad Air, although it's only one dead pixel. I am always reselling my iPad when a new version is coming out. And I know the rebuy-company, I am selling the used iPads to, will give me 50€ less if there is a dead pixel. I am very carefully with my iPads. My last iPad 4 was like new and I got the full resell price (about 500€).

So again, I hope Apple's warranty although covers one dead pixel.

5. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Is an Apple store closer to your home? You could have it evaluated there.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

You might have issues finding an iPad (or any larger screen device) with no dead pixels (just consider how many pixels there are on a screen now). I would be more concerned with a uniform correct color and image retention. One bad pixel is normal and minor compared with the other display issues (i.e. if you manage to get a display without the other issues but with one bad pixel, keep it. You will not do better).

7. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I hear ya and I would insist on a new one too just because it would bug be plus resale value would go down. If you're too far from a store I'm pretty sure they are good about getting a replacement fast

8. Ries macrumors 68000

9. masterpace macrumors regular

Back in 2003, I could have "lived" with a bad pixel. Since then however, technology and processes reliability, QA, etc., have evolved a lot. In 2013, it is just unacceptable to have a single bad pixel on a tablet. Let's not forget that the iPad Air is a premium tablet too. Even on a 280 $ Nexus 7 tablet, it would be unacceptable.

Bottom line, just ask to exchange it. If they are stuck up and refuse it, then just get refunded. Just make sure you do so before your 14 days expire.

10. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

11. masterpace macrumors regular

If Apple refuses to exchange it, they are shooting themselves in the foot. He will request a refund.

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah u can simply ask for a refund if they don't wanna exchange. Of course u can't do that after the retun window has passed.

13. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Back in 2003, they didn't have anywhere near the pixel count they do today. Would you really risk getting all the other display issues (cold, image retention, etc) if you had a good display except for one pixel ?

14. masterpace macrumors regular

It seems like we all focus on different things or issues. For one, the uneven color reproduction is a problem and for another one, the dead pixel is a real annoyance.

In my case, my first (and only) iPad Air came with a perfect screen... to my eyes at least. But no dead pixel. If it came with a dead pixel, you bet that's the very first thing I would notice about it and it would go back straight to the store for an exchange.

15. Northwestern thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the helpful replies. UPS came on Friday, but I didn't hear the ring, but UPS picked my iPad Air up an hour ago.

Also there are only 1-2 pixels dead, I hope for an exchange. Otherwise I know I am not buying an iPad again. There are cheaper tablets on the market and I would probably buy a Kindle, because I have a lot of Kindle books already.

I will update when I get more infos from Apple. Apple said I get an info two days after the pick up from UPS, then Apple will check the iPad. In a 7 days window after the checkup, I would get a new iPad Air. So fingers crossed for an exchange before Xmas! I will update any new info I get from Apple in this thread.

16. Northwestern thread starter macrumors regular

I got an answer from Apple today. They checked my iPad Air and already send a new iPad Air to my address. ;)

17. Northwestern thread starter macrumors regular

I got my replacement iPad from Apple today. I checked it with a blank page and I couldn't find any dead pixel. Also the device itself looks completely new. I am very happy with Apple's warranty and the fast delivery of a new iPad. I would give Apple's repair service a 10/10. :)

18. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Dang that was fast!

19. Northwestern thread starter macrumors regular

20. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

Just picked up a 128 rMini yesterday with 2 dead pixels. There is no way I'm going to stick with it. $700 tablet and two dark spots, right in the middle of the screen?

Yeah right.

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

22. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I agree with you and I'd have 0 tolerance for any dead pixels in my tablet. My guess is Apple would just send you a new one. If you were near an Apple Store you could take it to the Genius Bar and get a new one.

23. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't think so.
    If you are request for a repair/replacement, the best they can do (if you can convince them that a single pixel is unacceptable) is to give you refurbished unit.

I strongly suggest to ask for a refund and buy a new one.
    Another strategy could be to speak with a manager and make it straight : give me a new one or I'm going to ask for a refund and buy a new one elsewhere.
    It could works ...