iPad Bought an iPad even though I own a 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JOSE891, Oct 24, 2014.

1. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Kind of having second thoughts on my iPad Air purchase because I also have a 6+, I bought the 6+ for its bigger screen and kind of feel my iPad purchase defeats that purpose. Any one have this setup? what are your thoughts? Only thing keeping me from not canceling my order and keeping the iPad is the 2GB ram since I multitask a lot and my 6+ cant keep up with my needs.

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Same boat, and I will keep and use them both.

3. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I have a Samsung Galaxy note 4 which is about the same size as the 6 plus and also have an iPad Air 2 and don't feel they overlap really . There's reasons why I prefer tablet and then some iPad

4. taedouni macrumors 65816

I have the 6+ and have no regrets on getting the iPad Air 2.

5. vancleef macrumors member

I have Air 2 and Galaxy Note 3, they have different use cases and don't really overlap that much. Before I got the Air 2, I didn't use a tablet so my phone got a lot more usage than it will now though.

6. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

I am thinking about getting a mini2 just for when my 6+ is charging!

7. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The difference in screen size is worth it imo. After a while you will get used to the screen size on the iPhone 6 Plus and it won't feel that big anymore. When I had the note 3 I used an ipad mini and really enjoyed the extra real estate. On paper the 2.4 inches may not sound like a lot but it is.

8. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I have a 6 Plus, and a retina Mini. Also Had the Air.

My intention when I got the 6 Plus was for it to also replace many of the things I use the retina mini for, and to keep the Air.

It has indeed replaced the retina mini, and now the Air has been replaced with an Air 2.

6 Plus and Air 2, yes good combo
    6 Plus and retina mini, not so much

9. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

Same thoughts here

Very similar thought process. Recently sold my Retina Mini (2) in anticipation for the spectacular Mini 3 which, as it turns out is non existent. I also purchased the 6 Plus simultaneously to selling the Mini, so got a chance to test it as a "quasi" iPad replacement. It worked very well and in fact better than the Mini in some respects (see comments on video while traveling below). However, as good as the 6 plus is, I still much prefer the iPad for general use around the house, in hotel, etc...

So, I decided to replace the R-Mini with the Original Air (after also considering the 6 plus).

Since I have the 6 plus now, I found that I really like it for videos while traveling on plane....I travel each week for work.....used to use the R-mini for this, but now prefer 6 Plus (portable, 16:9 aspect, amazing picture). I also have a 15 R-MBP that I use for work so it's also with me each week as I travel for work.

So a tablet for me will be mainly for handy Web device in hotel, light use around the house (ie no content creation & no heavy processing). So, the value of the Air ($399 new 32 GB wifi) trumped the new features on the Air 2 for my needs. Also, at only $399 invested, I can easily sell it without taking a huge hit if it turns out not to get much use or if it gets a lot of use and I decide to upgrade to the Air (3) next year.....the one with artificial intelligence to anticipate your next web search!

The 2GB RAM is the one feature of the Air 2 I feel I'll be really missing ( ie Safari reloads, App refreshes, etc).

10. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

If you see my signature I have a 6 plus and iPad air 2. The screen size difference is substantial so having both isn't an issue

Now having a mini and 6+ is not worth getting because not big enough size difference and the mini is weaker

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have an iPad Air 2 (upgraded from an Air) and a 6+. They both have different uses for me, and I use them for different situations. But having the almost-letter-sized screen for documents or e-mails or whatever is always nice to have when I have the room and it's the right time and place for it.

If not (like crowded places, some public areas, walking down the street, or for taking phone calls), the iPhone 6+ is what gets used.

12. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

It's worth it. I have both and it's great. If you like it, keep it. If you feel you don't need it and won't use it, return it :) Simple.

13. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

I think if you have a 6 plus and a MINI, then that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a plus and mini, but then I owned the rMini well before the plus. I see your point and agree, there is enough overlap between those two devices.

15. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

Phablet cannot replace iPad in the same way that iPad cannot replace a laptop. It can do some of the jobs but no where near all.

16. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Same two devices, SGN4 and IPad Air 2. Great combo.

17. Rafterman macrumors 68000

The 6+ is great but it will never replace an iPad. Web browsing alone is a world of difference on an iPad. Plus, there's some software that only works on an iPad, like Microsoft Office Suite for example.

18. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Lulz downtime is horrible huh

19. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

The Plus is more of a Mini replacement, not the Air. For me the Air is about getting things done like editing photos, drawing, and taking notes. Stuff that you could potentially do on a Mini, but not as well as the Air, and that you really want wouldn't want to do on the Plus. As for entertainment, it's better than the Plus at watching movies in bed before turning in and for playing the more involved, AAA game titles. The extra RAM is great if you do a lot of research online needing several tabs, or if you want a larger canvas or more layers in your favorite drawing app. The Mini was fun for a while, but I'm glad to be going back to the full size—especially after getting the Plus.

20. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

But you don't see it between the Air and the Plus? Some people on this forum have claimed that their Plus replaced their iPad. I can see the Mini, but I don't see how a 5.5" screen can replace a 9.7" one unless you are a very light user.

21. 617aircav Suspended

It can't. If it does all it means is that person never needed the iPad in the first place. I have a plus and a nexus 7. Just broke the nexus. I can't read books and magazines on the plus like I do on the nexus 7 so i am getting another tablet.

22. Alex225 macrumors regular

I've just picked up my iPad Air 2 to replace my iPad 3 but I still have a Mini Retina and iPhone 6. To me that seems like a good balance, full size iPad for home, Mini for the commute to work and iPhone as my phone and quick web access, camera etc.

I can see the 6+ nudging the Mini out of the way as their sizes aren't that far apart but I'm surprised the 6+ can do that to a full size iPad but it is personal choice.

Amazing to think of the array of incredible tech that's available to the average person now!!

23. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

The 6+ is big but doesn't compare to the size and convenience of an iPad. I use the iPad extensively at home and anything smaller would be a major pain in my arse. Just my two cents worth.

----------

I like that. Good job!

24. jwill99 macrumors member

I had an iPad 4 and a riPad Mini 2 and decided to sell those and go with a 6 Plus and an iPad Air 2. Works for me. The 6 Plus is great, but I feel like it is replacement for the mini, not the Air 2.

25. Sprintina macrumors member

I have both and use them for multiple purposes. If out of town or even at work, the iPad is basically a replacement for the old-style netbook. For short-duration waits (say at the car repair shop for a few hours or at the doctor's office or any place where there's just a chair, the mini or my GT4 7" (or even the Kindle Fire HD) is a good size for surfing, etc. And for commuting, the 6+ is perfect because it is big enough to read but small enough to be unobtrusive when in cramped situations.

It's funny but I got the GT4 7" a week after I got the 6+ (it was an upgrade to the old original GT 7") and when I've carried both in a bag (6+ in a wallet case & GT4 in a folio case) and reach for what I think is the 6+, I get the GT4 instead.. So they are close in size (although the GT is bit wider with similar length). The mini, because of its large bezel, is actually much wider than the GT4 7" by almost an inch.