Bought an iPhone 5S FML...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tidest, Aug 6, 2014.

1. tidest macrumors newbie

Okay, so I bought a second hand iPhone 5s 16 gb locked to Rogers for $400. It's not a bad price but I made a mistake. My carrier is with Fido, which I thought would work with this phone. I am left with a few options:

1. Sell this phone back out.
    2. Unlock it but it will probably cost 100$ which I don't think is worth it.
    3. Call rogers to get them to unlock it for $50 but most likely not possible since I am not their customer.

I had an iPhone 5 prior to this which I am planning to sell for $350-$400.

What should I do? Unlock it or go through hassle selling it back?

2. P A U L macrumors member

A simple eBay search for rogers unlock service is around $60-65 for a 1-5 day workaround.

3. tidest thread starter macrumors newbie

4. tidest thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks. If it somehow doesn't work, how will eBay protect me?

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Yes. Further, you can easily just claim it didn't work and they'll still protect you. The seller has absolutely nicest to prove what he's done.

Being that he has access to unlock codes though, it's entirely possible the seller has the power to blacklist the phone as well (should you try to scam him). Just look up a seller who has decent reviews where people are reviewing the actual unlocking service and you will probably be fine.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Are you encouraging the OP to scam an honest eBay seller? Wow.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

No, that's not at all what I was doing. What I was doing is pointing out that, in a case like this, he has ALL of the protection, while the seller has almost none. The seller, of course, presumably has access to an IMEI database that he could simply blacklist the phone in question, should it be a scam. But I am sort of repeating myself here now...

I used to sell similar services. Unfortunately you get some folks who scam you. Such is the case with all services. If you aren;t selling a tangible good, you are more or less SOL if a claim is filed.

8. tidest thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so I ended I selling my iphone 5 for $320. I bought the 5s for $400. Now I am unlocking for 60$. Not too bad I guess?

9. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

If it were me, I'd be purchasing only a Verizon iPhone 5s. Out of the box the Verizon phones were fully unlocked, pursuant to their agreement with the FCC. You can search very many prior threads on this during the 5s release. That's what I bought, a Verizon 5s during launch. Opened it up, put in a T-Mobile microSIM, worked in two seconds.