Bought an iPhone 7 Plus T-Mobile For Overseas ... Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsmilo, Oct 13, 2016.

1. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

Never used an american iPhone before but is it normal that it ships with an Sim Card inside and the following screen? I assume i can still use any sim card and can just ignore this message as it is unlocked right?

friend pulled out the sim card in the second screen but it still shows carrier t-mobile?

Attached Files:

2. beernut macrumors 6502

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Did you buy it from T-Mobile?

If so you are in for a rude shock. It must be activated on T-Mobile for 40 days on an account in good standing before they will unlock.

American carrier phones don't just come unlocked (with the exception of Verizon) out of the box.

Now if you bought it from Apple then it should have been.

4. itsmilo thread starter macrumors 65816

itsmilo

bought it directly from the apple website at retail price

oops you are right, thanks! editing

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm not sure if that's the same as going to an Apple store to buy it full price but if a different SIM won't work then it's probably still locked. I'd call to confirm.

6. yomnym macrumors 6502

yomnym

Its not locked, its unlocked if you paid for it in full, NOW it was sold as a t-mobile phone so you need a t-mo SIM to activate. I guess everyone just said, lets get all the t-mo phones since they don't require an account number to buy, forget those fools that actually have tmobile accounts and cant buy the phone because there's no inventory.

7. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Mine was pre ordered from apple, same t-mobile and came with the sim, I let it activate and got the same screen that i needed to contact t-mobile not sure if I did something special but I just inserted my sim after that and everything was fine.