Bought an iPhone 7 Plus T-Mobile For Overseas ... Question

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
Never used an american iPhone before but is it normal that it ships with an Sim Card inside and the following screen? I assume i can still use any sim card and can just ignore this message as it is unlocked right?

friend pulled out the sim card in the second screen but it still shows carrier t-mobile?

Attachments

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Never used an american iPhone before but is it normal that it ships with an Sim Card inside and the following screen? I assume i can still use any sim card and can just ignore this message as it is unlocked right?

friend pulled out the sim card in the second screen but it still shows carrier t-mobile?
Did you buy it from T-Mobile?

If so you are in for a rude shock. It must be activated on T-Mobile for 40 days on an account in good standing before they will unlock.

American carrier phones don't just come unlocked (with the exception of Verizon) out of the box.

Now if you bought it from Apple then it should have been.

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
Did you buy it from T-Mobile?

If so you are in for a rude shock. It must be activated on T-Mobile for 40 days on an account in good standing before they will unlock.

American carrier phones don't just come unlocked (with the exception of Verizon) out of the box.

Now if you bought it from Apple then it should have been.
bought it directly from the apple website at retail price

hey dude, don't disclose your IMEI
oops you are right, thanks! editing

yomnym

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2008
Its not locked, its unlocked if you paid for it in full, NOW it was sold as a t-mobile phone so you need a t-mo SIM to activate. I guess everyone just said, lets get all the t-mo phones since they don't require an account number to buy, forget those fools that actually have tmobile accounts and cant buy the phone because there's no inventory.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Mine was pre ordered from apple, same t-mobile and came with the sim, I let it activate and got the same screen that i needed to contact t-mobile not sure if I did something special but I just inserted my sim after that and everything was fine.