Bought an iPhone off swappa, is it supposed to come with a sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peapody, Dec 6, 2014.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I did a preliminary research but was looking for a quick answer...i got an iPhone 6 off swappa that did not come with a sim. Is this appropriate?

I bought this for my mom, do we just take it to verizon and they give me a sim when we switch the lines over? I appreciate any advice/expertise you can give me here!

2. fat jez, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

no, you won't get a SIM with the phone. Did you check if the phone was SIM-locked to a provider though?

3. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Sorry what does 'SIM-locked TOA provider' mean? Apologies - for nobodies!

I checked the ESN/IMEI via swappa and it is 'whitelisted' and 'device appears to be activation ready'

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

On swappa when buying the 6, did you buy it on the Verizon section of the swappa? Did the seller say on the description that it is the Verizon iPhone 6? If so that it is unlocked, meaning it's not Sim-Locked.

Also I believe most sellers remove the sim card before they ship the device out. So you will need to go to Verizon and get you a new sim card and switch over. If she previously had a 5 or 5S, she can just take the sim card out from the phone and insert it into the 6 and it will work just fine. If not, then yes go to Verizon, and they will give you a new sim.

5. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Is she upgrading from a dumb phone?

You'll need to go to Verizon and request a nano sim. If she's the owner of the account she will have to be there.

Typically phones on swappa don't come with SIM cards. You just use your existing one.

6. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Thank you - i bought it on the verizon section of swappa.
    She is upgrading from an iPhone 4. As long as she can go to verizon and get what she needs - that is just fine. I appreciate your guidance!

----------

Thank you very much. Just want to make sure the seller didn't forget it, or I am being swindled. Since she is upgrading from an iPhone 4, and is the account holder, I am hoping it will be fine. It would be easy if I was there with her to do all this - but since I am not, I am hoping it is an easy process.

7. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

If a SIM card has been activated on a line, the seller would not ship you a SIM card because it would not be associated with your line, it would be associated with their line. If you know what you are doing you can reassociate a used SIM card with your line, but most people do not know what they are doing.

Verizon gives its customers SIM cards for free. If she takes the phone into a verizon corporate store, they will insert a SIM card in the device and activate it for her for free. If she takes it into a Verizon Authorized Retailer, they will charge her to do that.

She also can call Verizon and they will mail her a SIM card for free with instructions on how to activate it herself.

----------

It is very easy. She just takes the device into a Verizon corporate store. A VAR will charge a fee to do it but it is free at the corporate stores.

8. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I just wanted to concur, you want to direct her to a real corporate store, not the "verizon" stores that are actually just resellers. You can find the corporate stores on the verizon web site.

I added my iPad Air 2 to my verizon account, needed to get a sim card as the apple sim didn't include verizon as an option. It took about 30 minutes, but to be fair about 20 of that was waiting to be helped, they were busy for the holidays.