Bought Apple TV and it was used

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Saulibarra, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Saulibarra macrumors newbie

Today I bought an Apple TV at target, only to find out it was used, what should I do.?

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

How do you know it was used? If it was used, just return it and ask for a new one. You paid for new, you should get new.

3. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Return it? Is this really a post?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Not only that, the first post of a brand new account registered today. :eek:

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Pictures/proof or it didn't happen.... Wasn't it sealed?

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

That was mine and I want it back!
    :mad:

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Maybe it has a ready iTunes account in it. FREE MOVIES!

8. jkeating2005 macrumors regular

Maybe someone put an ATV2 in the box, looking for a free upgrade, and you can sell it for more!!:D:D

9. mpantone macrumors 6502

Bring it up with the retailer who sold you the device.

Legitimate resellers aren't supposed to be passing off used goods as new product. This isn't an Apple-specific issue. Target can't resell a used/returned Sony TV as new.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Unfortunately lots of retailers will accept a return then re-packae and sell it as new. If they do that they don't lose money, as opposed to selling as used.

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I will need to see proof of this in the form of an article and about a reputable retailer... I've bought all kinds of "opened" gear from BB and the like for discounts. I've never heard of them "repackaging" used Apple gear.

12. xArtx macrumors 6502a

I bought a new Mac Mini straight from the Apple Store in Aus and it was used,
    and repackaged in the cellophane around the Mac, shrinkwrap on the box, the whole lot.
    No problem with it, but it was used.

13. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

How do you know it was used, as opposed to only opened?

14. xArtx macrumors 6502a

It was actually not opened since being resealed.
    Mac Mini. Scratches on top of aluminium case that my first one still does not have, but more obviously, scratches on the black plastic panel that surrounds the USB ports at the back, where you try to plug in, but miss the socket, and scratch it. That part was very obvious.

15. ABC5S macrumors 68040

OP posted once, and left. Never returned, so me thinks he/she made a mistake and is embarrassed or a troll. Take your pick

16. mpantone macrumors 6502

Sadly, very commonplace on the Internet in 2013.

The value of these bboards has been greatly depleted in the past couple of years. Oh well.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those scratches were very likely caused by a factory worker at the factory doing QA or testing the device. Maybe even installing the stock OS. They're put together by humans after all.

18. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Unless you like used products or have a major problem, you could return it?

19. xArtx macrumors 6502a

That could be true. The Display Port, which I have still never used,
    has a little chip at the edge of the panel that I would agree was some testing.

Two of the USB ports, the plastic area surrounding them,
    I would describe more like abuse, or rough treatment if you are calling it new.
    It wasn't enough for me to take it back. It's a two hour drive.
    It's enough to remember, to have a look at the thing before I leave the store next time.

All in all my experience is good considering the number of devices I've purchased over time,
    but I don't find the OP difficult to believe at all (only in the what should I do part).

20. thekb macrumors 6502a

I bought a wireless router at Walmart a couple of years ago and when I got home and opened it up, there was a thoroughly beat up, very used router in the box. I took it back and had to fight tooth and nail for them to exchange it. They said the serial numbers didn't match and I said "I'm not surprised!"

Ultimately I had to talk to 3 managers and threaten to call the police before they finally realized I was telling the truth.

Thankfully it was only a $90 router. I can't imagine how hot I would have been if it was a $1,000 TV or something!

Lesson learned: ALWAYS open item in store to check it out in front of the clerk before leaving.

21. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'd rather just not do business with Walmart at all. I remember shopping for a heater there when I was a kid and found one on the shelf that had been burnt and even had some melting. This had the return tag stuck to the side and was placed right back on the shelf. Very unsafe.

22. avaloncourt, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Take a look around a Radio Shack sometime. You will regularly find items on pegs and shelves that are stapled or taped back together and resold at 100% of the original retail price.

I have seen returned items at Staples being re-shrinkwrapped and returned to the shelves. They were doing it right at the customer service desk in plain view.

Not surprising. I recently saw several HDMI cable packages on pegs at the local Walmart that had been stapled back together and back in the department (not the green tag clearance area) at full price. That's not even trying to hide it.

23. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

You are talking about cables. Not electronics. Further, I'd hardly call Radio Shack or Walmart reputable.....

24. chabig macrumors 68040

Who cares if it's used as long as it's the right product and it works? It still has the full warranty.

25. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Unless the previous owner registered it and used it for a month or so.