Bought AppleCare, now feel some peace of mind

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kylera, Apr 3, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Is it safe to say that short of lifting and whirling my iMac or doing something incomprehensibly stupid, I will be covered for just about anything else?

2. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Yes, If you use your mac in a normal way, all brakedowns will be covered. Much easier with an iMac then when you have a macbook pro. Portables are much more sensitive to bumps and damage, making it less easy to rely on applecare.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As long as you're comfortable and have peace of mind, who cares what others do.

I frequently get AppleCare for my MBPs just for the same reason. Plus you increase the resale value if you sell it within the warranty period

4. skuid87 macrumors regular

AppleCare is a worthwhile investment. It's saved my butt on a number of occasions. In fact I only just had my iMac's 1TB HDD swapped out for a new one as it was on it's way out.

Definitely worth the peace of mind.

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Yes, for big ticket apple products. When I am already blowing over $2k on a 27' imac, what's another $200 on applecare? :p

I do know friends and colleagues who don't bother with warranties though. Their rationale is that they have faith in Apple's product quality, and if something were to happen, it would most likely occur within the 1-year free warranty period (suggesting the fault was inherent in its production). :)

6. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Definitely worth it.

Thanks to AppleCare on my 2006 iMac I had a new screen, a new logic board, two new Superdrives and three new Magic Mouses. Apple also took into account the fact that I had had AppleCare when I needed a new HDD after the cover expired, and replaced it at cost with no charge for labour.

A false economy not to buy it, IMO.

7. lexvo macrumors 65816

Yes, definitely worth it. I had 3 cases where AppleCare helped me out:
    - Magic Mouse broke after just over a year
    - after 2+ years my ethernet port was broken and the motherboard was replaced
    - after 2.5 years my HDD was replaced due a temperature sensor problem

So for me, AppleCare paid itself back.

I with I could buy AppleCare for a 5 year period :)

8. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

AppleCare covers peripherals as well?

9. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

10. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

another +1 for Apple care, in fact Apple just replaced my early 2009 24" iMac with a brand new one today after a slew of display problems

11. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

I got three replacements out of them due to the rollerball failing. Eventually I gave up on the bloody thing and bought a Logitech.

12. lexvo macrumors 65816

Magic Mouse and Airport Extreme/Express are covered by Applecare with no extra charge.

13. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

14. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Whoa. Suddenly AppleCare seems a lot cheaper than before.

15. lc25 macrumors 6502

Another +1 from me, i got a screen and hard drive in the last couple of months on my old iMac. Swear by it now and when you go in and pull up you account and see you with it on a few products i have always seemed to get an even better level of service.

16. s!ke macrumors member

Where is the cheapest place to get apple care for iMac? Cheapest I found was on ebay. ANy suggestions? It doesn't really matter where you get apple care, its not like it HAS to be bought from Apple to be registered

17. lexar macrumors member

bhphotovideo seems to have it pretty cheap. imac applecare is $122

18. s!ke, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

s!ke macrumors member

Yeah, and when you add it to a NEW iMac it drops 50% to $61. But I bought my iMac used off of ebay, and just want to buy the AAPL Care.

Does it matter which apple care you buy? As long as it is for iMac?

Like what if the model numbers don't match up?

Can I buy this one and put it on a Mid 2011 27"? http://www.ebay.com/itm/MD006LL-A-A...ultDomain_0&hash=item256f1741ff#ht_2161wt_922
    or
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-MC245...ltDomain_0&hash=item337439c8a1#ht_2491wt_1378

19. ravinder08 macrumors regular

Definitely worth it.

Just had my screen replaced on my 18month old iMac.
    Without the Applecare it would have cost around £350 to replace!

The Applecare cost me £99 for 3 years cover so it's more than paid for itself already.

20. Thebutchersboy macrumors newbie

I think I am going to purchase extended apple care. Had some issue on a big ticket purchase. They hAve kept reminding me that if this was out of warranty, I would have spent tons of cash already. It only cost what £135 sniffs, I spent more than that already with phone calls and technicians looking under the good of my baby! Can't risk a breakdown and be unable to afford it!
    It's smart!

21. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Ditto Time Capsule, so long as you have valid AppleCare cover on a Mac.

22. doctorjj macrumors newbie

I would be careful buying AppleCare on Ebay. For many years, I had bought AppleCare for many of my computers from Ebay and had no problems whatsoever. Last year, however, I purchased AppleCare for my iMac from a seller who had great feedback and I received the AppleCare package in a few days.

I was able to register the AppleCare for my iMac with no problems but a few days later, I received an email from Apple requesting that I submit a copy of the original sales receipt showing the purchase of the AppleCare from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller. When I contacted Apple, they would not recognize proof of purchase through Ebay. I contacted the seller and they were unable to provide proof of purchase as an Authorized Reseller, but luckily they quickly sent me a refund.

I searched around the Internet and discovered other such cases where people were also denied AppleCare coverage for packages purchased through Ebay. I'm not saying you'll have the same problems, but you might.

I ended up purchasing AppleCare for my iMac from B&H Photo and had no problems with the registration. They had the cheapest price as well at the time.

23. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I have Applecare on my MBP, MBA and iMac and am glad I did. I recently had to take in my MBP for service as keys started randomly lifting off the keyboard and Apple took care of it 1 2 3 easy as pie. You will be grateful when you have an issue in 18 months, like god forbid your logic board goes, then you'll see your $200 go a long way for you. I purchased all of my Applecare threw apple at the point of sale and recommend that you buy it from Apple not a third party just so you'll have the piece of mind of knowing that its legitimate and valid.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I've worked in IT for a LOOONG time fixing desktops, servers, equipment testing and various other roles....

...and I still buy AppleCare. The reason being is if an Apple machine breaks somehow or succumbs to a power surge, its going to be a VERY expensive replacement/repair and its not like a Win machine that I can just rip parts out of and replace.

I tend to use my computers for a long time and don't upgrade frequently so the price to me was worth it.

The sticker shock isn't so bad if you break the cost down year by year.

25. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You raise a very good point. You can't really just get parts like you can for a PC. Plus like you said if you break down the cost year over year its not that bad. However when your spending 1100+ whats another 200? Especially if it protects your investment.