Bought brand new 85watt adaptor for MBP - except it wasn't!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by czerney, Mar 14, 2009.

1. czerney macrumors member

Well my power adaptor went pop last night, followed by distinct smell of smoke.

So I purchased retail 85watt magsafe adaptor brand new in box still in shrink wrapped.

Open the box.... and it's USEd. The cable was filthy dirty, the square transformer think scratched and chipped to buggery.

I returned it to the store who re-imbused me and were suitable shocked and will be taking it up with Apple.

Anyone else experienced this? Looks like someone responsible for shipping Apple product pulled a swifty!!

2. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

nope, never. had a cord of my adapter frayed, but they gave me a brand new one. even unpacked it for me when I asked for it, cause I was going to my next client that day and just popped in the store real quick.

3. JorgeLomeli macrumors regular

JorgeLomeli

Actually that happened to me, a week and a half ago.

I went to the Apple Store in San Antonio, Tx and exchange a faulty Macbook pro for a brand new Macbook Pro.

Everything was great, Brand new box, a very brand new machine build date 2009 week 09.

Everything was completly new, except for the power extension cord. It was dirty and smelled like fish :(. The Magsafe power adapter was completly brand new just the power cord was used.

The Macbook was spotless, perfect, Not a single dead pixel, no more fan noise, no more heating, no more black screen while playing games. No more screen touching the keayboard when closed (i think they fixed this problem in 2009 models, cuz last macbook pro november 2008, it was a serious headache to me this issue) and maybe this is "mental" but the hinges seems tighter to me than before.

So what i did was i cleaned my self the power cord, and thats it.

I was afraid that if i exchanged the computer, maybe the new one wont be perfect as this one. So i moved on.

I dont know how this could happened! i mean there has to be some kind of inspection before they release any product to the public, i mean the guy who did this to me (the used power cord) what the hell was he thinking? :confused:"Ohhh!!! a brand new computer, in a brand new box, everything smells like new...ahhhh what the hell... lets throw a used cable in here and lets hope the costumer wouldnt realize that!!!! after all its only 2800 bucks!!!:mad:

Jorge Lomeli
    Monterrey, Mexico :cool:

4. xStep macrumors 68000

I'm sure you can exchange just the power supply.

5. czerney thread starter macrumors member

Well apple are replacing the power adaptor - shipping one out. Hopefully will be quick!

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

how did you ask them you get you a new one?

7. czerney thread starter macrumors member

The replacement is covered under AppleCare thankfully.