Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Hi,

After 5 years spent with the same old Macbook Air because none of the new options where satisfying and/or affordable for their value, I decided to go ahead and buy a 2015 entry 13" MBP (with Yosemite 10.10.3 so).

And am I crazy or is it pretty sluggish for a brand-new system with so-called faster PCIe and 8GB or higher-freq ram? Apps are taking a few second to open instead of quickly, when I scroll trough content you can clearly see the slug, it's no fluid as you would expect, and clicking on many options or buttons, in System Preference, is laggy too.

I'm worried, that either I ended-up with a brand new deficient MBP or that the new MBP is just not as fast as I would've expected or experienced when I bought a Macbook Air 5 years ago to notice the power of SSD speed.

Are there any tools to test and verify all of this?

Studflower

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2014
This is what I felt when I purchased the 13". Exchanged it for a 15" and the quad-core is just SO much faster.

Just not the performance you'd expect from a laptop in 2015.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Is spotlight still indexing? Did you enable FileVault?

Nope Spotlight is not indexing, FileVault is not enable.

And this new Macbook Pro is definitely sluggish as hell, I feel screwed and might sell it for a PC. I was tired of Macbook Air being slow (although it was okay since it's 5 years old) but having a brand new 2015 MBP that is sluggish when I scroll through Finder, start some apps and else...

WTF

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
This is what I felt when I purchased the 13". Exchanged it for a 15" and the quad-core is just SO much faster.

Just not the performance you'd expect from a laptop in 2015.

It's out of the question that I buy a 15" or any more expensive MBP seeing how I was just screwed with a brand new MBP

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Sluggish as in how you would expect or sluggish compared to your MBA?

Yosemite has certainly been criticized for sluggishness in certain cases, but I wonder if this is what you are seeing? If so, it should be largely fixed in El Capitan.

What OS version was your MBA running? Did you transfer files and settings from that computer to the new one?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Sounds like Yosemite, not the hardware. I have the late 2013 2.4/8/256, and it feels very fast and responsive on Mavericks. When I tried to upgrade to Yosemite, that feeling went away, so I downgraded.

Reactions: Edgar Spayce

Laserducky

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
Hi,

After 5 years spent with the same old Macbook Air because none of the new options where satisfying and/or affordable for their value, I decided to go ahead and buy a 2015 entry 13" MBP (with Yosemite 10.10.3 so).

And am I crazy or is it pretty sluggish for a brand-new system with so-called faster PCIe and 8GB or higher-freq ram? Apps are taking a few second to open instead of quickly, when I scroll trough content you can clearly see the slug, it's no fluid as you would expect, and clicking on many options or buttons, in System Preference, is laggy too.

I'm worried, that either I ended-up with a brand new deficient MBP or that the new MBP is just not as fast as I would've expected or experienced when I bought a Macbook Air 5 years ago to notice the power of SSD speed.

Are there any tools to test and verify all of this?

Are you saying sluggish coz of UI slowness i.e. animations choppy, window resizing not smooth etc ? If so, this could be related to Yosemite's UI issues on Retina screens that some people are facing, at varying levels.

If this is the case, I would suggest what others have said here, wait for El Capitan and it should make life easier for you.

Cheers !

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Sluggish as in how you would expect or sluggish compared to your MBA?

Yosemite has certainly been criticized for sluggishness in certain cases, but I wonder if this is what you are seeing? If so, it should be largely fixed in El Capitan.

What OS version was your MBA running? Did you transfer files and settings from that computer to the new one?

My MBA was running Snow Leopard which of course was fast, then Moutain Lion which wasn't so much because of RAM and planned obsolescence, and still many aspects of it weren't as sluggish.

This is crazy, my MBA was an old core2duo with 4Go Ram 1333hz and old interfaces, I just bought a brand new mac supposedly faster with new PCIe2, 2,7ghz broadway etc...and it's a huge let down, I might just sell it and switch to PC since I need to do 3D/VR anyway.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Sounds like Yosemite, not the hardware. I have the late 2013 2.4/8/256, and it feels very fast and responsive on Mavericks. When I tried to upgrade to Yosemite, that feeling went away, so I downgraded.

I don't know if I can downgrade, seems complicated since it's new. I wish I could've tester Mavericks. If El Capitan doesn't fix the problem, after 15 years of using Mac I'm definitely switching back.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Are you saying sluggish coz of UI slowness i.e. animations choppy, window resizing not smooth etc ? If so, this could be related to Yosemite's UI issues on Retina screens that some people are facing, at varying levels.

If this is the case, I would suggest what others have said here, wait for El Capitan and it should make life easier for you.

Cheers !

Yes, especially Finder. Webpages or the overall apps are not that slow (the problem is not memory, and I don't think it's CPU either) but something about the UI feels sluggish.

Also opening apps is not as fast as I'd expected.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don't know if I can downgrade, seems complicated since it's new. I wish I could've tester Mavericks. If El Capitan doesn't fix the problem, after 15 years of using Mac I'm definitely switching back.
Yeah, you can't downgrade if your Mac came with Yosemite. Unfortunately.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012

El Capitan fixes the problem! I can safely report that to you :)

For some reason in Yosemite Apple changed UI rendering by windowserver to cpu thread instead of gpu thread. In El Capitan this change is reverted and UI is again rendered on gpu. They also simplified many animations and effects to make them much easier to draw. The overall result is it feels fast in every way Yosemite feels slow.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
El Capitan fixes the problem! I can safely report that to you :)

For some reason in Yosemite Apple changed UI rendering by windowserver to cpu thread instead of gpu thread. In El Capitan this change is reverted and UI is again rendered on gpu. They also simplified many animations and effects to make them much easier to draw. The overall result is it feels fast in every way Yosemite feels slow.

Good, waiting for El Capitan, hoping there's no downsides.

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Join the public Beta program and run the latest 10.10.4 build. It's about to go out and is running great on my new 13". 10.11 will be much improved when it comes out as the 13' does have some UI rendering issues in 10.10.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

You can't downgrade to Mavericks. But you don't need to. Something is wrong with the hardware, the OS installation, some installed software or some of your settings. I can tell you that the machine should not be giving you that feeling of sluggishness. If nothing else, I'd make an appointment and take it in for a Genius appointment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.