Bought Crucial M4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gngan, Aug 30, 2012.

1. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

So i've done the dual HDD (SSD in HDD bay and and HDD in the optical bay).

My boot time is around 15 second. Does that sound right? I remember seeing people doing it in 9 seconds.

Attached Files:

2. 32KFJ macrumors regular

32KFJ

mine... after that the m4 reached also a reading speed of 501mb/s

Attached Files:

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Im guessing you bought the 128GB right?

If you bought the 256 or 512GB, write would be faster but whatever.

Yes, it is fine.
    Mine boots around 12~15 sec as well.

But my write is 210 and read is 510.

4. gngan, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Yeah, i bought the 128GB.

It's good to know i'm getting normal speed.

Several more questions:
    1) Did you guys enable trim?
    2) Do i have to update the firmware?
    3) How should i import my iTunes and iPhotos library so all settings are the same as previous?
    4) What should i do so when i import new music or photos, these files will be in the optical bay HDD rather than SSD?

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

1) I didnt and runs great.
    2) Nope, but I still have right r/w speed.
    3) iTunes, just transfer whole Music folder
    4) Music is best to go with the SSD. iPhotos or photos can be saved on Optibay.

6. gngan, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

When i drag the music folder to itunes, it says "The app _____ cannot be add to your library because an error occurred. An unknown error occurred (-50)". All the apps can't be added.

The iTunes library seem to be messed up. When i backup the music folder, the music will be in under 'iTunes>iTunes Music'. When i install the SSD, i drag the whole music folder to iTunes. But when i check the folders, all the music will be in iTunes folder rather than iTunes Music folder. When i add a new song to the library, it will be in iTunes Music folder though.

Also, all my playlist isn't transfer. Any idea why?

Attached Files:

7. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Good choice on the M4, I love mine. I did enable TRIM. Does it make a difference? Don't know but I certainly feel more comfortable with long term performance with it though. Mine came with the latest firmware and yours like did too. For iTunes I just dropped my music in the folder and it added just fine.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Try copying the whole folder of itunes under "user/library/itunes"
    to your new SSD's "user/library/itunes"
    This should replace all the stuff in your iTunes.

9. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

I have the M4 as well, only I see much faster startup times. I hit the power button, about 1 second for the Apple logo to appear, the spinning wheels lasts maybe 1 second, and shooted to login screen, so about 6 second bootup.

I am super impressed with the drive.

10. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I received my M4 this last week also. I just finished superduper cloning this morning and installed it today. I expected it to be faster, but not this fast. This old 2009 MBP feels like my 2011 MBA.

I did not enable trim. According to Crucial, the M4 has its own garbage collection that will run when the drive is idle. I also downgraded my firmware to 0309 as recommended by Crucial.

11. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Thanks for the tips yusukeaoki. It's working now. Is there any way around it because I would prefer to put the iTunes library in the HDD. My SSD is kinda full with iTunes library in it.

It looks like everyone is happy with their M4. ;) I was deciding between M4 and 830 but ended up with M4 cause it's cheaper. lol

sdsvtdriver: Do you have the link where crucial recommend staying with lower firmware?

12. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

I recently fitted the 512GB M4 to a mid 2010 MBP and it would not cold boot with firmware 000F but is now fine on 0309. The crucial site has lots of forum chatter about issues, but I couldn't find a clear recommendation.

13. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

I just got a 256GB M4 and I love booting up in 9 seconds. :D

14. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

^ this.... I have used my M4 without trim for several months now without issues. I am also using 000F firmware without issues. I also asked a crucial rep if I should downgrade the firmware and he said absolutely not. He said downgrading the firmware is only recommended for a windows computer.

15. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

i grabbed a 512 version of this 'drive' and i'm pretty happy. i enabled trim.. don't know/don't care if it does anything - laptop is plenty quick now.

price was great compared to the [albeit superior] samsung830 of the similar capacity.

16. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

My 128GB runs firmware 000F but works great for me.
    My SSD reads and writes at the same speed as when I got it and still boots under 15.

No beachballs after I switched to this baby.

17. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Is this because the most up to date firmware (OOOF) does not play well with pre-2011 MBP's? Just curious, how did you downgrade the firmware? Download an older ISO image from Crucial, then burn it to a CD or USB and boot from it?

18. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

There's no direct quote from Crucial where they recommend staying on 0309. What there is, however, is a lot of Mac users claiming that they have beach balls or momentary freezing after updating to 000F. A moderator states what the difference between 0309 and 000F and basically says if you don't need "SAS" support, there's no reason to update.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...rmware-000f-is-now-available/m-p/95255#M28432

People were then concerned about downgrading and losing their warranty. A mod posted saying it is ok to download from 000F to 0309 only:
    http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...mware-000f-is-now-available/m-p/100680#M29906

So, from all that I figured I'd be best with 0309 to start with and flashed mine before copying my data. If 000F works for you, then the old saying, "if it isn't broke..." comes to mind.

19. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

0309 Firmware

Downloaded crucial-03093l.iso - copied to disk, booted into DOS/Windows included on the disk and installed.

http://edge.crucial.com/firmware/m4/0309/Crucialm4_0309.zip

HTH SSMed

20. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Thanks for the links!

I realize that mine is 000F. I am glad mine is working fine so i don't have to do everything again.:D