Bought iMac today. Overexposed colors? Check this out.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by superjoho, Jul 2, 2012.

1. superjoho macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've been waiting forever for the announcement of new iMacs. Caved in and bought a new one today.

I'm having some issues with the colors in this display. I know that on retail floors due to the lighting, everything looks better, but I'm noticing that the iMac pushes RED so much it's insane. And all the other colors are overexposed. Nothing looks right. It looks too warm and reddish hue.

So I went to display calibrator and I've been messing with it and still haven't found a way to just lower the saturation of the colors. no matter what setting I do with the sliders I still get over exposed reds.

My display panel is model A00C.
    Manufacturer 0610
    Manufacture Date C9271E00

Has anyone had similar issues. Anyone know which of the sliders in the calibration tool is the one that controls saturation?

Thanks!

2. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

It might be worth trying http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/ SuperCal - it gives more options for display calibration. There might be a newer equivelent I don't know about though.

My new iMac is quite cold toned compared to my other displays but definitely defaults way too punchy to be called anything like colour-accurate. Looks very candy-like but generally not any single overpowering tone so I quite like it.

I hope you're enjoying your new iMac other than the colours. :)

3. superjoho thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, I'm not happy at all. I bought this to enjoy bigger quality media and higher resolution, but all I'm thinking about is how ugly the colors look. :-(

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you tried calibrating the display using the built-in colour calibrator? System Preferences>Display>Colour

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

So you are unwilling to calibrate it to the lighting conditions you placed it in?

That makes no sense, it's like buying a race car at sea level, taking it up in the mountains to race it and expect it to perform without tuning for higher altitude.

6. johto macrumors 6502

johto

7. Flying Teapot, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

Flying Teapot macrumors newbie

The original poster is describing an effect that can be produced with a system setting.
    Go to System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Seeing -> Enhance Contrast and make sure the slider is all the way to the left.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Correct. Go for either a Xrite ColorMunki Display or i1 Pro Display (same device but more advanced features unlocked). They will both take into account the ambient light settings in your workspace which is crucial. If you plan on doing your own printing see if you can get hold of a ColorMunki Photo, that way you can calibrate your printer at the same time.