iPad mini Bought iPad mini brand new off eBay but..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nickprete11, Mar 5, 2013.

1. nickprete11 macrumors regular

Hello everyone. I recently bought a brand new iPad mini off of eBay. The seller has 480 feedback and seems reliable. For some reason, he seems to be selling a lot of iPads though. I don't know how he gets all these iPads, but it is about 10 total sold. I don't really care about that, but I bought an iPad mini from him. My iPad mini came in a brand new box and everything seemed official. But, for some reason the warranty is wrong. I am not sure when he bought the iPad, and it asked to verify the purchase date when I went to check the warranty at apple support. I just put in March 3rd, because honestly it's just the first day that came to my mind and it was close to the date I bought it. But for some reason now, the iPad shows the warranty expiring on 3/3/14, but the telephone support is expired. How do I fix this error? It is sort of annoying and I am not sure what to do, because all I have for a proof of purchase is an eBay receipt. Thanks.

2. cardfan macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you got a one year warranty. What's the big deal then? Phone support isn't worth anything. Use forums to solve any problem.

3. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

Why does phone support matter? Nobody needs it.

4. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Why worry, you know the march 2 2014, is your warranty ends date, should something goes wrong go to apple retail store and get it fix. Also within 30 days of march 3 expires you can buy apple care and extend warranty to mar 2 2015, if you want.

5. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

That seems like a lot of worrying for someone who's buying an iPad off some guy on e-Bay. You should feel lucky that the serial # didn't come up as one from the pallets-ful of stolen iPads in the news lately.

Regards,
    Tom

6. ramram55 macrumors 6502

One would have to check with seller before paying, ask for serial # and check with apple support via online, if the seller does not disclose serial # then do not pay as simple as that.

7. darngooddesign, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

darngooddesign macrumors G3

I disagree.

Phone support is a good way to document the initial problem. If you aren't near an Apple Store, phone support will also mail you out a box to have something fixed.

8. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

Fair enough if you aren't near an apple store...

9. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

why why why why why why in the world would you buy an iPad off ebay from a random person and not from apple? why?

unless you got a substantial discount, which you didn't mention...

WHY?

10. saud0488 macrumors 6502

The phone support is fantastic but the date they give you is a joke. When you call it usually goes like "It looks like you're outside of your complimentary phone support, but let me know the problem and I'll see what I can do."

Basically, if you have a real problem they'll document it or set up a repair, for free. I've sent in iPhones and one iPad before that were WELL beyond their phone support date. All of these repairs/replacements were set up by calling in. I've never paid them a penny.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. As long as you have the year long warranty, I wouldn't worry too much about not having phone support.

12. nickprete11 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. I bought the iPad off of eBay because the seller had a great feedback rating, was brand new sealed in box, and because I got a $25 discount.

13. jbrettz macrumors member

Well, I think you just used up your $25 savings by lack of "peace of mind" :eek:

Plus the $25 savings cost you your free 90 day telephone support. Next time go to the apple store it is worth it.

14. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

Wtf is phone support? I never even use it. ??

15. Ivabign macrumors 6502

I bought on eBay.....

If the auction states the item is new and sealed, you can't really go wrong - if the item comes up as stolen - you get your money back through paypal - if anything is funky, you are protected. Now I wouldn't buy one unless I got a pretty great deal - Like I just did - I got a 16gb white iPad 4 for $470 total including shipping - since Apple charges taxes in CA - I saved almost $80 - when I registered it, the warranty was a week old - so I got 51 weeks of warranty - and of course, it was new and sealed. Sometimes it makes sense.

16. raggedyann6 macrumors newbie

Ebay Ipad Mini

I got my sealed in the box new iPad 32GB black Ipad mini yesterday. The seller only had one for sale and was not a power seller just an individual. I went to the Apple website and put in the serial # and it said my 90 day phone support expires in 3 days and the 1 yr warranty Dec 2013, I did Not put in a date for when it was purchased. Probably the person who did not know the purchase date so they made one up does not get 90 days from the date. My iPad was $417 that included shipping. If I had purchased at the Apple Store with tax it would have been about $470. I called Apple phone support today and the tech helped me change my account name and password since I shared the same Apple id with my daughter and her iPhone. If you are tech savvy maybe the phone support is not something you need, but for people like me it really helped. I am thinking of buying the AppleCare Protection for about $55 on Ebay. I have gotten Apple Care on Ebay for several of my other Apple products and have been happy.

17. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If the person you bought it from wasn't an Apple authorized reseller, the warranty technically started when THEY originally purchased it, not you.

18. nickprete11 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey everyone. Problem solved! I called up AppleCare. The support was fantastic as usual. The problem was that I haven't synced my iPad with iTunes yet. I usually would never do that now because I just download all my content from iCloud. But, now the warranty shows as normal.

19. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Ebay has its honest sellers too, I do not know if you are aware that Ipad Mini applecare will only take care of you for two years from purchase, unlike
    the 3 years on some other apple products. For some people buying from ebay as if nuclear fallout will be happening soon, as long as the paypal payment is there do not worry.:)

20. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I agreed with you 100% :apple: Phone support helped me a lot with less hassle at Apple store. :apple:

21. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If the person wasn't an AAR how can you be sure they bought it. There was that pallet stolen at JFK

22. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can't, but if it was from a batch of stolen goods, Apple could have voided all of the warranties. I'm sure THEY knew which ones were on there.

23. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

they don't actually have to void it since the warranty needs a valid purchase to exist at all. which means even if it it was a legit order but not sold by an AAR it would have no warranty. this was one of the big issue with those TJMaxx iPads a couple of years ago that were possibly acquired from some legit shop that was closing down or such. Zero warranty and no purchasing Apple Care.

24. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I disagree....the time to check things out is BEFORE you place a bid....