Bought iPad on Apple.com...what will the box look like?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mdude04, Dec 18, 2010.

1. mdude04 macrumors newbie

I ordered an iPad on Apple.com so I could get it engraved. It's a gift for my dad, and because I'm traveling there next week I just had it shipped directly to my parents' house. If my dad is there and signs for it, will he know what it is? Or will it just be a generic "Apple" box?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Normally it'll ship (if it's like every other Apple product I've bought online) in a retail box inside a plain brown outer shipping box.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

All my orders from Apple.com have arrived in a regular brown shipping cardboard box. Maybe you should tell him that he should be getting a delivery soon

4. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

Every Apple shipment I have seen is always in another outer carton. They take measures to preserve the contents. Even the large iMac boxes are shipped in outer cartons. I suppose you should tell him not to open it (assuming it was in his name).

5. mdude04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've told him to expect multiple packages since I'm sending presents for other people there as well. So even if he does notice Apple.com on the return label he won't know for sure it's for him (he'll probably expect it's for my Apple-fanboy brother), but if there was something to indicate it was an iPad he'd know it was his. So, thanks for the info! Now I don't have to worry about telling someone else to be home to watch for it.

6. patchouli macrumors member

I rec'd my refurb 21.5" iMac in a white cardboard box with no interior box. Is this becuz it's a refurb?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, refurbs don't usually come in the retail box.

8. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Mine came in a brown box inside a big White DHL plastic bag.

9. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

A few years ago I ordered a lot of Apple products for work... Packages used to come with a return address name of "ACI" on them (for Apple Computer, Inc.). I imagine that they now say "AI" on them since the name change to Apple, Inc.

The boxes were always plain and brown with no external markings on them. I think Apple does this for security (someone might be tempted to open the box if they saw an Apple logo on it).

Unless your dad is a huge Apple nerd (or a huge postal nerd, I guess...) I don't think he'll notice.